Why is faith considered a virtue?

What is it about faith that makes it something to be admired?

I was pondering this, as I often do, and came across an article that I found very interesting.  The fact that it's written by an atheist will cause many to immediately dismiss it, but I found it to be very reasonable.  The first part examines the role of faith in society, the second takes a closer look at why it is, or rather shouldn't be, considered to be a virtue.

Do you consider faith to be a virtue?  Why or why not?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 3:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Yes I do.
    The ability to believe in something bigger than myself, mightier than anything I can imagine is a virtue. It is not easy to believe or rather it s when everything i going your way but it is not easy to believe even when it seems like evryone and everything is against you. It is not easy to strive to be the better (whatever you are), not better tha anyone else but better than you are at this moment. It isn't easy to turn the other cheek or to forgive. Those are virtues and part of the whole. People fail many times every day to be just hat much better than the moment before. It is a virtue to stand back up and keep fighting to master yourself when others tell you to take the easier way out.
    It isn't easy to see the failings of those who ae supposed to lead us to be better and choose to lead us astray. Some will follw. Some will forgive but hold to teachings and some will give up.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Because it is difficult to believe in something you can't see.......

Answer by older at 4:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Because I don't just have faith when it suits me. I persevere in my belief when I don't like the waythings are going, or when others of my religion fail me, or when I'm so broken-hearted I want to give up. It adds meaning to my life; it works for me. If it doesn't work for someone else, then perhaps he or she wouldn't call faith a virtue. There's nothing wrong with that perspective.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I agree with these statements completely:

"In fact, it soon becomes rather obvious that the religious faith of today centers on believing what one wants to believe no matter what the data suggest. It is a form of prideful ignorance in which human desire is elevated above reason."

"Faith gives people a "get out of thinking free card" which they often use to end conversations much like a child throwing a tantrum."

"Faith gives people an excuse for claiming real or manufactured change and soliciting forgiveness for past wrongs. It matters little whether the change is genuine - if the individual claims faith, all is forgiven by many believers."

Regardless of what some may claim in this section, like the author wrote, it is easy to be a Christian in the US. They are not persecuted, though some claim to be or even rigorously challenged.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• It is very foolish to try to find truth in generalities such asthe above.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• it is easy to be a Christian in the US. They are not persecuted, though some claim to be or even rigorously challenged.

I get that. Nobody's shooting at us, thank goodness, and a lot of the Christians in the world aren't nearly so lucky. But 3libras--and I'm genuinely asking because I don't understand, not trying to argue at all--what does that have to do with anything? There are no external forces trying to keep us from believing as we do or worshiping as we please, so it's easier logistically to be a Christian in the U.S. today than it might have been in the time of the Roman Empire. And? Does that somehow make it a problem?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• ^^^A problem, not per say but, in a nation were so many are going off about the "sanctity of marriage" and, there "religious rights" being stepped on if Gay marriage is passed....well, it's extremely hard to sympathize with their invisible "plight".

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I do agree that the religious rights of Christians are not being stepped on by gay people getting married, and I hope gay marriage passes. The only thing that would bother me is if the government is allowed to step in and say that denominations, or individual pastors and churches within denominations, are required to perform gay marriages if asked. I think that should be left up to the churches, much as I might disagree with their choices, and the government should stick to making gay marriage a legal right.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:03 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I personally am not asking you to sympathize with our "plight". It is not so long ago that Catholics were executed vigilante style just for being Catholic. I can't say that it doesn't still happen. I know that I, persona;;y, can not remember hearing about it in many years.

Still it is hard to keep one's faith in a diverse culture as opposed of a singular one where all but a tiny few (if that) believe the same thing. It is hardto weigh through the choices and the temptations simply because we are deluged with the and told to indulge and it is somehow a mental disfunction if you do not.
    That is not the outside forces problem but the person themselves who have to wrestle with what is truth and what is not.
    There are so many voices, it is very hard to be quiet and listen to the one that is true.
    How do you know? You know because it resonates within you. That is not just if you are a certain faith.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:24 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• It is true of everyone. Some have not heard their voice. Some have chosen to listen to a different voice. But to stick to your choice and to continue to believe, now that take courage and humility and that is a virtue.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:26 PM on Mar. 28, 2013