What weight/age does a child use a booster?

My DD is only 3 so I know we have a while.
My mother just asked and I had no idea.
When will she stop using the straps in the car seat and use a seat belt?

She has this car seat:
Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 Car Seat

When it does come the time for her to upgrade will this work? or should I get a different one?
What's your opinion?

Thanks!

jeffsgirl9

Asked by jeffsgirl9 at 3:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2013 in General Parenting

• Are you asking what the limit is to start using it as a booster? At 3 years old you definatly have awhile till she is using it as a booster, you could look up your local laws regarding that as well as the carseats manual as what that seat does, but most likly if its a 3 in 1 type it goes to about 65 pounds 5 point harnessing. Keep them in the 5point as long as possible, as others say soo much safer. WHere I am the kid has to be 9 to have no booster, and use strickly just the cars seatbelts. For dd, who is 10 and 51 pounds, i cant go by weight or she would be in a booster till 14 lol
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 29, 2013

• The Nautilus can harness for a pretty long time, I think up to 65 pounds. Kids should be harnessed as long as possible because it is so much safer. My 7 year old is still in a 5 point. He's been in a booster a couple of times and he doesn't like it, which is fine with me.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• The laws vary from state to state. Here, it's four years old or forty pounds, whichever comes first. That being said, my pediatrician told me to keep my daughter in a car seat till her head came to within an inch or less of the top of the padded back part, even if she reached four years old or forty pounds, since it's still safer than a booster.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• In Ohio I don't think there are laws of when you are allowed to no longer use the 5-point harness. We have the needing to be rear facing until they are at least 12 months. I know we HAD the 4 years and 40 pounds law, but that was to get out of the booster seat...now that has been raised to 8 years and 80 pounds.

DD had/has the Graco Nautilus and the 5-point harness is good up to 65 pounds. We removed the 5-point harness but kept the back to the booster when she was 5-1/2. About six months later we removed the back. About six months after (around 6-1/2), I got tired of the rips she had in the fabric, so I bought a new only back-less booster for her.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• my were 10 or 11 before we through out the booster. I kept my kids in their 5 point car seat and booster as long as I could because they are smaller than most kids their age and it's safer. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• google car seat guidelines in your state
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I have that same car seat and got it because my children are kept in seats until they outgrow them not the minimum the law says. My children are tall and skinny and that car seat has a higher height limit, but lower weight limit then others. My son was 6.5 years when he outgrew the 5 point harness and now uses the nautilus as a high back belt positioning booster and is almost 8. My 5.5 year old is still in her nautilus in the 5 point harness and we just put it at the highest adjustment a month ago so she will likely be there for a little while.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2013