How long can hard-boiled Easter eggs be left out?

When have they been out of the fridge too long to make them unsafe for eating?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 4:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2013 in Holidays

• Listen, when my mom grew up they hard boiled all of the eggs, and then took them even 2 days later to eat, this is why you see in old time movies eating them, they are fine as long as they didn't sit out in the blistering sunshine, and if you are serving something hot with hard boiled eggs, please share it with us!!!!! We all are going to have a bunch of them.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I usually go by the one hour rule.
    If I were hiding them outdoors and it was nice and cool I might go longer like 2 hours.

What cha thinking of doing?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:03 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• One day, then they are decorations!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Could you just call her aunt and ask how long they were in the car? But I would think that if they were still pretty cool to the touch they should be okay.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I think they're probably fine.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Not thinking of doing anything exactly, but my daughter died some eggs with her aunt yesterday. I assumed that they'd been in the fridge because they were cool to the touch when she brought them home. But then I found out they had stopped at the park and gotten something to eat, so the eggs were in a basket in the car. It was cool out, probably in the fifties, but they could have been in the car for a few hours, my daughter is no judge of time so I don't know exactly. Like I said, the eggs weren't at room temperature yet. So now I'm going back and forth about whether they'd be safe to eat if I put them in a dish that requires them to be served hot.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2013