My 6 year old refuses to take his training wheels off

I was 5 when I learned to ride a 2 wheeler. Last year we tried teaching him but he gave up after 1 try and wanted his training wheels back on. Now he's 6 and still refuses to take them off. Any suggestions here?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 4:39 PM on Mar. 28, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Take away the bike

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I think if you just keep gently encouraging him he will eventually do it. My son was about 5 1/2. Once you see them really zooming on their training wheels then you know its about that time. You really can't force him because then he will hate it. I think he will do it soon. Maybe tell him if he doesn't learn without the training wheels he will soon grow out of bikes that you can use them with and won't be able to ride at all.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 4:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• He will do it when he is ready.. No big deal. They all take off on their own speed :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Give him time. He's not you, so comparisons to when you did this or that don't really apply.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• You know the height adjusts so they go higher up and the training wheel is used only if they start to tip to the side. We took my sons off when ha was 4, and taught him on grass (football field) so it was a softer landing if he fell.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I'd just leave him be. My daughter won't ride her big girl bike at all, and she's five and usually not afraid of anything. Your son will ask you to take the trainers off when he's ready, probably when he sees all his buddies riding around on two wheels.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Adjust them to the highest position and leave them on. Then, when he outgrows this bike then just get him a bike without training wheels.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Our older two were about five also when they learned without the training wheels. Our youngest was about 5 and when it came time to tak them off, she was a little unsure so we took one off to help her learn to balance. That lasted about 45 minutes and they were both off! All kids learn at their own pace on their own time in their own way. Be patient, he'll get it soon enough, when HE'S ready!! Good Luck!

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 5:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• A child I know is 9 and just took the training wheels off. She just wasn't ready. The more it is talked about the longer it will take.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 5:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• My son was afraid so I moved his training wheels all the way up and left them there for a while. I pointed out one day that he could hear when the training wheels touched and if he listened closely they were not touching. Well we had two bikes one with training wheels and one without. I went in the house to use the bathroom and came out to the little shit riding his bike with no training wheels and he hasn't looked back since. He was 6 and is almost 8 now. My daughter wants nothing to do with it either and she is 5.5. They do it when they are ready. My nephew was 4.5.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2013