Florida?

Okay so I have a fear about moving to Florida.. One because it's about 19 hours from my hometown. Two because of tornadoes and hurricanes.. Three because I want my kids to have seasons.

If you live in Fl how long have you lived there and what are your pros and cons?are your kids okay with no seasons?

This may be ignorance, but I heard that alligators would eat my dog..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Just for the record, anything can eat your animals at any time. We have coyotes and wolves here that will eat a small domesticated animal.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Well in my area something like that is very very rare.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Where in Florida?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• It depends were, like Quinn said. I've never lived in Florida. But, I did some research on the Tampa area when it looked like my ex husband might get transferred there (while we were married). We ended up in NY instead.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I don't live in Florida, but I live in southern California where we don't have seasons either. It's not a life-ruining experience lol and my son is just fine. We drive up into the mountains when it snows there and play for a day then drive back home. No snow days, no closed roads, no shoveling, no ice, no ridiculous heating bills. And yeah, no alligators but coyotes that can just as eating chomp on small dogs. I can't comment much on the hurricanes and tornadoes. That would probably scare me too. We have "earthquakes" here but seriously the walls rattle more when a truck drives by.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I am sure it depends on where you live but I visited for 6 weeks in Datona. My cousins seemed to love it there. The beaches were beautiful (this is many years ago so I can't say for now) The two things I did not like at all was the humidity and the bugs.
    The sun is very strong and of course it reflects off the sand (if you are near there) and so you need to use sunscree more diligently JMO
    May dad was under and umbrella in his wheelchair for less than an hour and his feet burnt from the reflection so bad that his feet were very swollen for over a week.
    I remember everyone having dogs and a lot of them were very small and I never heard anything about dogs being eaten. Again I would imagine it would depend on where you are going in Florida.
    Orland is about the same but I was there for a shorter period of time. but several times.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• *just as easily
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Unless you are living on the water it's not as though there are alligators sitting on your porch every morning. They prefer to live in water, although if your animals get too close to the water's edge they risk being eaten by an alligator. The bugs are large and plentiful in Florida. There are also a lot of really great things about Florida (especially if you like water and water sports). Every place has a trade off. I grew up with seasons and DH did not. We have lived in Florida and Texas and while I get more of the seasons where I am (without all of that pesky snow), sometimes it's nice to wear flip flops on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I have lived in Miami, for over 50 years, my kids grew up here, and if they want seasons we would go see them in a vacation, never seen an alligator up close other than at the zoo...I only have pros, no cons, the weather is beautiful specially this time of year, and beach 15 to 20 minutes away from most places, I call it paradise....

Answer by older at 5:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I moved to Jacksonville just a couple weeks ago. They don't get a lot of hurricanes here, and it is north enough there's some change in the seasons. We've had a couple frosts so far. Flooding can be a problem being so close to see level. Houses do not have basements here.

I LOVE being a mile from the ocean. I don't like heat, so I'll be staying indoors most of the summer, but the winters are very pleasant.

If you have a good fenced-in yard, gators likely won't be a problem.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2013