S/O: Do you think it is un-patriotic to say that the United States is not the greatest country in the world anymore?

I notice that if someone says that it's not or simply doesn't believe it is the greatest country anymore, other people consider them un-patriotic and suggest they flee the country. Any American who realizes America has a problem doesn't want to leave, but they do want America to be a great country again. So how is it un-patriotic to admit there's something wrong with this country when you want this country to get better?

uwmilf

Asked by uwmilf at 5:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Saw it. This is what my question is based on.
    uwmilf

Comment by uwmilf (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I think it can be viewed as un-patriotic but, honestly I feel that way most of the time. I love my country but, I'd love to be able to move my children to a much more secular European nation. One with more history, culture & a greater emphasis on equal rights.

Now granted, it could be partly because of where I currently live. The longer I'm in TX, the more I wish to become an expat.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• No. I wish more people would admit that our country is seriously flawed, and put some thought and effort into fixing it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• It's not unpatriotic at all, especially if the person who says America isn't the greatest country anymore also votes and participates in other ways to try to make the changes she feels need to be made. Part of what makes this country great is that people are allowed to say what they think, print it, convince others of it, and use the political system to do something about it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Ballad, that is probably the best answer, but I don't want to vote it best answer yet because I want to keep this question open. Thank you for that answer though!
    uwmilf

Comment by uwmilf (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• No, everyone is entitled to an opinion...

Answer by older at 7:25 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• No Country is the best country and that is just the truth, And America only seemed that way when people were brain wash and unexposed to information. With the Internet you can finally see the world is messed up. And there is no room for being patriotic.

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 7:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I think it's indicative of those who don't know the difference between patriotism and jingoism
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2013