Older Dog with Stiff Joints

My black Labrador guide dog, the original bearer of my screen name, is eleven and a half years old. I've noticed lately that she's very slow in getting up off the floor, limping a little on her back legs, and less willing than before to jump into cars, especially taller ones like Jeeps. I've had her to the vet, who said more than likely she's just getting old and arthritic. It happens to us all eventually. The problem is, I can't give her traditional painkillers because she's had lifelong stomach and bowel issues which tend to flare up when she's on any medication that goes into her mouth and through her body that way. So I was wondering, do any of you know of home remedies that might make her more comfortable?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2013 in Pets

• First of all, my sympathies. It's hard to experience our beloved pets go thru the aging process. I'm going thru that right now with our 14 y/o lab & a 13 y/o lab/sheppard mix. We were told they could have a regular strength coated Aspirin, twice a day. We give it to them wrapped in cheese. Their tummies did not tolerate the glucosamine very well, but they do fine with the aspirin. You should always talk to the vet about all the options, although some can be expensive. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• My vet said Glucosamine and chondroitin (I'm sure I butchered the spelling) work for dog joints as well as humans. They make special doggie supplements or you can use the people ones. You'd have to check with a vet for dosage, though.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• what she ^ said :) gl i hope your baby feels better
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:39 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• ask your vet, we gave our lab a baby asprin every day, but talk to him first!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• If she will let you and you at least have an idea of how you can do massage, gently at first and gently moving the joints and then a deeper massage. Some dogs are willing and relax and some fight it which is worse than not doing it at all. Our pom spent most of his last year on a heating pad or being massaged. Glucosamene can help some dogs and usually does not hurt any dog..

My dogs are both 5 years old now and the vet says that I don't really need to give it to either of them but it can help even at this age.  He recommends once a week for them but Mario got his every day.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• My guy can't handle any medications either. Every morning when we get up, I spend about 10 minutes massaging him. It's terrible to watch him struggle....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I would see if you can find a homeopathic vet first see if they can help. Or try joint supplements like glucosamine or joint injections.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 10:40 PM on Mar. 28, 2013