Fort Bliss TX

I just found out today my husband has come down on orders for Ft. Bliss TX... I personally don't wanna leave where we are now, but I know that's how the military life rolls so I'm gonna put on my big girl panties and go with the flow...

Anyone been or is there now? How's housing, command, etc? I just want to be as prepared as possible for this move...

molly_beth13

Asked by molly_beth13 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2013 in Military

• idk much about it but a friend of mine said she loved it. her dh was sent to colorado and she is miserable. gl i hope you like it
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I was born and raised in El Paso and my daughter was born at the military hospital there. I haven't been back in a while but I can tell you it's very very hot and very dusty but there is great food and the people are awesome
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I haven't been there since 200 and ugh, did not care for it. But as with every where, it is what you make of it. They were renovating ALL the housing after I left, so naturally I was in the shitty houses that were made in like the 70's, but I have heard that the base is much larger than it was when I was there, so that's nice. The nicer houses off post are on the West side of the mountain, base is on the east side, but it's like a 25+ minute drive from over there, and in 2006 when there was the big flood, the west side was hit the hardest. I lived on post the first year, then off post our 2nd year near Trans Mountain drive and Railroad, it was on Regulus Drive, all my neighbors were elderly retired military.
    There are like 3 malls, a dozen or so Wal Marts. And OMG It is SO hot there!!!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Sorry meant 2008. We went from El Paso (El Crapo TexAss as I call it) to Italy, to Colorado, and El Paso was by far my least Fave. We are technically still stationed out of Colorado Spring, but during DH's deployment I am in Wyoming.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Never been their. But I know it is HOT! their. I was at Fort Hood TX.

Answer by louise2 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• My husband was there for two weeks for training but that's about it. Have you tried asking this in one of the military groups here on cafemom?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Thanks for the comments guys... We were going to try to change it to closer to home, but they won't let us... Guess I'll have to make the best out of it! We're from the midwest so the heat is going to be an adjustment. I'm normally one of those people who makes the best out of things and doesn't complain too much, so I guess I'll have to put on my big girl panties and make the best out of it!!
    molly_beth13

Comment by molly_beth13 (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I was at Ft Bliss for 2 years! I hated it!
    We did a lot of our training at White Sands Missle Range.
    It's very hot, as far as housing, I don't know. I lived in the barracks.
    They have flying cockroaches the size of a B-52! Seriously! But, you'll find the BEST Mexican food ever. :)
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• haha the b-52's don't bother me at all, we were stationed in Hawaii for 3 years, I'm quite used to them. And unfortunately I don't like Mexican food. I order the steak fajitas and only eat the meat out of it, not the tortillas, veggies, nothing, just the meat lol
    molly_beth13

Comment by molly_beth13 (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• surely you can get some info about the area online thru a realestate agent or such.....he will most likely go there first and you will follow with the moving van....download a local map. you may have to rent an apt before you can get base housing if you want base housing....You never know you may love the area..
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 3:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2013