Flying with children

I have never flown with children before and I am planning a trip. Specifically, I was wondering what you take for identification for them and how you go about checking things like strollers and car seats and if that is horribly expensive.

Any pointers would be good too!

Thanks!

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 3:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Travel

• Write your cell phone number and last name in permanent marker on their legs.

What age are your children?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My children will be 4 and 9 months
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 3:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• When my son was under 2, I had to have his birth certificate to prove his age. I checked his car seat as luggage (the person at the curb wrapped it in a huge clear plastic bag and put a tag on it), but this was before you actually has to pay for each piece of luggage. And I took the stroller on the plane with me. Actually, the flight attendants took it and put it somewhere, but it was ready when we walked off the plane.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Obviously, a direct flight is key - but if you need to make a connection, make sure that you have an attendant meeting you at the gate to help transport you & yours around the airport. Get maps of each airport and call the airlines as well for tips. Even with a four year old, you may want to invest in a backpack w/a leash attachment. Just imagine how hectic traveling by yourself can be and then quadruple that.

If there is anything you NEED, carry it in a backpack so you have your hands free. Can you wear your baby in a Snugli? You should be able to check your stroller at the gate and then claim it back at the gate as well (sometimes the "check at gate" option just means it gets put down with the checked baggage and you have to wait to get it back.) Being as the baby is 9 months, that seems too young for a cheapie umbrella stroller.

Overplan, overprepare.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• So what is the deal with the quart bags and 3 oz bottles now? lol...can you tell I haven't flown in a while!!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You can go to the airline website that you are flying with & it should give you all the details of what you will need for children at certain ages from newborns, toddlers to children flying on their own. some airlines have different requirements so check out the site just to be certain.
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 3:48 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I just separated all my liquid stuff according to ounces and put what I could in quart size baggies. The tall bottles of shampoo and stuff will go in gallon size bags in the suitcase I'm checking. The 3 oz stuff will go in my carry on. I think that's how it goes, you can carry on 3 oz bottles, but no bigger. I also believe kids meds that are in 4 oz labled bottles are okay too.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Heres how to keep the kids acting good! I go to the Dollar Tree (thats what we have here any kind of dollar type store is fine) and buy a prize for every 20 minutes we'll be on the plane. Buy crayons. A coloring book. Books. Crosswords for older ones. Those silly face drawing things are good. Stuff that if it gets lost or thrown away who cares? Quiet stuff that entertains for a bit. And it might sound bad but use it as a be good bribe. Say okay settle down and in twenty more minutes you can have another prize. I wrapped mine in wrapping paper and the airports never made me unwrap before. And put them in my carryon and let them pick every so often if they aren't asking don't give it to them until they do! You only spent a few bucks and the kids having fun and everyone isn't staring daggers at you. Keep healthy snacks and low sugar drinks too. Got any questions email. I'm a pro by now lol and my son is super hyper!!!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 12:58 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• The Dollar toys are a great idea!

I read that younger children are really prone to motion sickness so you should avoid things like books and coloring- if you have a lap top or portable DVD player you can bring movies for your 4 YO to watch, bring a pacifier for the baby and suckers for the older one so that if their ears start hurting you are ready!
    ceemuhreeashbee

Answer by ceemuhreeashbee at 9:36 PM on May. 6, 2009