Would this be a need or a want?

ok i have a perfectly good washer, but my dryer has seen better days. the church i volunteer at, sometimes gets big furniture. well the heating element is going out of my electric dryer. it takes the socks, underwear and bras 7 hours to dry. while anything heavier, towels, pants and shirts takes 14.

we have had three gas dryers pass through our doors with in the past 6 months. well heres my question, since my dryer is staring to go out is that a need or a want?

or rule is i can only ask for something i really need. i've hung up the clothes all around my apartment to help give the dryer a rest. but i just can't decide if which it really is. i mean i need a dryer to make sure that the family has clean clothes. but i've been fighting with this dryer for the past four months.

which would you call it?
like i said i haven't said anything and an electric dryer hasn't surfaced at the church. i'm still using the old one but i'm really not sure how long it's going to last.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 11:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2013 in Home & Garden

• A need. The utility bill must be astronomical.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I would call it a definite need. I can not imagine how mouch that ends up costing you to dry one load of clothes. I would suggest that you have hubby clean out the vent tube as well. If it gets clogged it could cause your dryer to wear out early and if could be a fire hazzard.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• You might check scratch and dent places or used appliance places or craigslist. I am not as familiar with gas dryers but with electric you can get the part and places like sears will walk you through the instalation, even on the phone if you run into a snag.
    Just a thought
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• i tear it out of it's cubby hole once a week and there's nothing to clean. i let it sit for two weeks then there's a little lint that needs to be brushed off. i take the vaccum to it, i take the hose off the back that leads to the outside and shake it clean then take a dust wipe to make sure i didn't miss anything.
    i didn't even think about our electric bill, it has been a little higher than normal. i just thought it might be because the kids refuse to shut the lights off.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• the used places want between $150 and 200 out here. and that's only for the dryer! it don' matter which one you want. but right now they are all out of electric.they said call back in a couple of weeks.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• Since there are dryers appearing, I'd say it is considered a need.

Answer by Bmat at 11:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• I am talking about the dryer hose that vents to the outside.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• That's a major need!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:28 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• yeah i do that weekly. i also take the back panel off to suck out the dust and or lint that has gotten trapped behind it. i also clean the vent on the outside of the building.
    hubby's bro in law used to fix anything with a motor and he says that it sounds like our heating element is going out. (he lives four hours from us and right now neither one of us can afford to make a road trip. or else i would have taken the dryer up to him to fix it for me.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Mar. 28, 2013

• i went thru the same situation as you about a year ago. we didnt have the money to replace the dryer and i just hung up clothes around the house. your dryer is broken...taking 7-14 hours means its not doing anything but moving them around and eventually they dry. its a need if you dont/cant have an outdoor clothes line.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2013