Self Publishing?

First off I'm going Anonymous because I'm slightly embarrassed to be asking this question. It feels like I have lost faith in my own ability to write and am giving up so I am hiding in shame. The reality is that I am not getting any younger, I am sick of the mountain of rejection letters that I have stacked up, and would like to see my work in print before I die.
With that said, does anyone here know anyone who has, or they themselves have, had experience with self-publishing?
Are they legit? What are the best ones to go through if they are legit and what tips or heads up can you give me when beginning to research these companies?
Or...do you feel that it is a waste of time and money and that I should continue submitting my manuscript to publishers/agents ( I am also trying to find an agent to represent me)?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Mar. 29, 2013 in Money & Work

• I self publish. I do ebooks through Amazon and Smashwords. Smashwords distributes them out to sites like B&N, Sony, the Apple bookstore, etc. I use CreateSpace to sell paperbacks through Amazon, there's no cost to me. I input everything, upload the book file, then they calculate how much it costs to print it and based on that, set a minimum list price. I can set my list price at that minimum or any amount above it, and my royalty varies depending on where I set that list price. I get a CreateSpace store that I have on my site so people can click and buy from there or from Amazon.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:52 AM on Mar. 29, 2013

• There are a couple of things. First, if you choose to self publish, you still need an editor. Hire a good quality editor, not just your neighbor the English teacher. A book editor will edit much differently than an English teacher will.

Amazon and Smashwords are great ways to go, but vanity presses that charge you money and put your book in print for you, are generally a waste of money.

I highly recommend joining Romance Writer's of America. It doesn't matter what kind of book you write, you will learn how to do what you need to do, and find great resources. In my local chapter a number of my friends self published on Amazon and ended up with publishers, They sold thousands of books on Amazon first. ALL of them who have been successful have hired good editors.

Good Luck!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:59 AM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I haven't self-published. I'm finishing a novel right now, but I'm working with an editor at a publishing house.

I have a few friends who have self published. Debra Holland is one. She writes romances, and started by self publishing on Amazon, and sold enough to become a USA Today best selling author on her own. she's now with a publishing house. She did hire an expensive editor, and artist for her covers, but that made a huge difference. Another Friend of Mine, Elena Dillon wrote a YA that she has self published on Amazon, and has sold thousands of books, but she also hired a good editor.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• It's really hard to find an agent, and even harder to get a publisher without one. I've got a stack of rejection letters, too, so know there are others in your boat!

I haven't researched self-publishing deeply--maybe when my daughter starts school in the fall--but I do have a friend wo had good luck with IUniverse. It's print on demand, so it wasn't a ton of money to do because the books are printed as they are ordered. That way she didn't end up with a garage full of her own books to deal with. Just make sure you have figured out ways to do your own distributing, marketing, advertising, all that fun jazz. My friend wrote historical fiction for kids, so she worked with schools and their libraries a lot. It might have been harder if she was trying to peddle books for adults.

Good luck! The biggest thing is, find a way forward. Self-publishing might be a good option; giving up is not a goodoption, ever.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:51 AM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I did self publishing through www.lulu.com. I wasn't going to mess with getting an agent and I don't do rejection well. They give you your own website and put your publication in trade catalogs. It's pretty easy to follow the instructions. Just check it out. You don't have to end up doing it if it doesn't feel right to you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:27 AM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Thanks ladies. Out of curiosity when you have self published, do you sell a lot of books? I have friends who say that want to buy my book when its out but other than family and friends how well to they sell to the general public when you self publish?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Mar. 29, 2013