Tips

Went to out to dinner last night. We had one waitress tell the end. Then a waiter helped us twice. The waitress never came back.   Who would you tip?   We tipped neither of them.  Because we didn't know which one to tip.

Asked by louise2 at 7:00 AM on Mar. 29, 2013 in Food & Drink

• i would only tip 10% for that minimal service.
    partingwhisper

Answer by partingwhisper at 7:28 AM on Mar. 29, 2013

• We leave any tip with the check. Let the two servers decide how they will divide it up. When a server has to hand off a table like that they have usually already discussed how they will handle any tip. That never was allowed at the reataurant we had unless there was an emergency of some sort.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:43 AM on Mar. 29, 2013

• The tip should have been left with the check. Someone should have explained the situation, but the first waitress possibly had some type of emergency that she had to leave - obviously something happened because that's generally not allowed in restaurants. Tips are based on overall service, not who they are going to

Answer by missanc at 9:12 AM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Just wondering.....was the service bad? If it was good service, even with a switch in servers, then a tip should have been left IMO. And one of them should have said why there was a switch.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:57 AM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I agree that a tip should have been left unless your service was terrible. I'm sure the tip would have been split.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:45 AM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I would have left a 20% tip. It was probably shift changes. When this happens, the tips from that party who started the service is split with the one who ended.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 29, 2013

• It tip for good service. I leave the tip on the table unless I am suspiscious for one reason or another and then I hand it to the waiter or even the manager.
    We had a small group ofyounger adults who were stopping in resteraunts and getting water and then taking tips off tables on the way out. Like a dash and grab. That lasted about 2 weeks before they caught them. That was an extreme case.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• It was probably the end of the one server's shift and the other one was coming on so they transfered tables, or maybe one server had an emergency and had to leave and the other one took over. Either way, Servers only make 2.13 and hour and live off of tips. Always tip on the check and the servers can figure out how to split the tip.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 2:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I would just have added a tip with the check and let the two servers figure it out.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• It's like this with us. If the we start with one and end with another. We do not tip. Why? Because I do not want to tip the last person. When really did not do anything but hand me a bill.
    I use to clean Hotel rooms. I could clean a room one day and not clean it the next day. The tip they leave should be mine. But the person who cleans the room the next morning usualy keeps the tip. Even though they are supose to hand it over to the person who cleaned the room the day before. So you see, I do not trust they will hand over the tip to the rightfull person.

Comment by louise2 (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2013