How to displine a one year old

Ok I know they don't understand a lot, but he hits me a lot I want to teach him this is bad. I was abused as kid I don't wanna hit him and if I do he's going think its ok. Right now when he hits me I grab his arm tell him no this is bad you don't hit but it doesn't seem to be working help!!!

xsmommy12

Asked by xsmommy12 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 29, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Repetition and consistency. I used to tell my kids NO firmly then take my attention away for a minute or so. Around 18 months I started sitting them on the stairs or in their rooms (I have 5 - depended on layout of which house we were in at that time) for timeout until they were ready to play nicely.

Answer by missanc at 11:04 AM on Mar. 29, 2013

• one year olds cannot put discipline together with the behavior you want stopped. its about redirection at this age.
    partingwhisper

Answer by partingwhisper at 11:04 AM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Redirection
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:21 AM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I think you posted yesterday, and your child is 14 months old?
    Rather than focusing solely on the behavior as bad, consider stopping/preventing the hitting when it happens while also showing understanding for why it's happening. This way, you're not just discouraging the behavior (and ignoring its cause), but you're protecting yourself FROM hitting while acknowledging the reasons FOR the hitting. This helps to address the cause (usually frustration) and doesn't add MORE frustration to what he's already feeling.
    It's basically a way of taking responsibility for your own safety & limits, while giving him lots of support for the feelings driving the behavior.
    You're modeling emotional expression (instead of hitting) which is what you want him to grow into.
    Hitting is just an impulse, to express or "act out" displeasure or angry feelings. So show him you understand. "You didn't like when mama took away those shiny scissors." Etc.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:55 AM on Mar. 29, 2013

• My daughter is nowhere near 1 yet and I'm hoping I don't have to displine her when she gets that age
    Shaketa123

Answer by Shaketa123 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Walk away every time and stay away for at least a few minutes. They'll connect that hitting sends mommy away and of course, they want attention. This also works sometimes with moody crying spats.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2013