Butternut squash

We got 4 huge butternut squash from the Co op I've never had it or cooked it.

What do you do with it?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 12:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I often split it in half, bake it cut side down in a dish with water until tender. I then scrape the meat out of the skins and use in place of zucuni in breads. It freezes well that way. The recipe I have calls for 2 cups, so I freeze it in 2 cup packages.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• cut and roast

or cut in half and microwave
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:48 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I slpit it in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and give it a little rinse. Iset the oven for 350 and put in a little water into a rimmed dish and then the squash face cut side down and bake 45 min to an hour. It should be soft when poked with a knife.  I then flip them over and rub with some butter and pop back in the oven for a minute or two to melt the butter.

You can grate the flesh and make a very nice soup.

I will let you look that one up.

You can split, seed and pare tnem and then cut them into 1 inch cubes. You can marinate and then skewer and put them on the grill or you can marinate the cubes for about 30 minutes and then drain and cook in a pan or in the oven.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I split them lengthwise, scoop out seeds, place cut side down in a baking dish (I don't add water as I like the flesh a little less soggy.
    Bake 45-1hr depending on the size. Add butter, salt and sometimes a little brown sugar and eat it just like that! It's one of my very favorite squashes. You won't need much better if any at all because it is a very smooth textured and buttery squash.

I cook most my squashes the same way and eat similarly. Acorn squash is my next favorite!

You can also cube it and roast, or toss in a soup like you would potatoes.

Mmmm.... Now I want to eat one!
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I cut in half scoop out seeds and add butter and brown sugar to the hole and bake at 350 for 45 mins
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 2:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Bake it like the others have said; it's good with brown sugar and butter and a bit of cinnamon, or with butter and a dash of garlic salt.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Sounds yummy
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:48 PM on Mar. 29, 2013