How important is name popularity to you?

I like a few names Caroline and Evelyn for girls and Logan for a boy but since they are so popular we are not sure whether to go ahead and use them. I had a popular name as did my husband and daughter. My sons is less common. The affect his name has on people has a bit more of a wow factor, the name is nothing made up or too weird just underused and I think it comes of refreshing to people because its heard less. My daughters is a top ten name and while I adore it and it fits her it gets less of that response. We do like uncommon names or underused I would say but these three before mentioned stick with us a bit.

What are your opinions, does popularity weigh on your decision? Either way really be it to popular or too unique ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2013 in Baby Names

• i did b/c growing up my name was super popular...like top 5 of the 80s popular. i was never the only Amanda and always had to use my last initial. im serious here EVERY class i was in growing up i was one of two Amandas. my high school basketball team had 3 Amandas, my jROTC flight had 4! it was annoying!

so i picked names that are normal but arent in the top 10. both my kids names are between 50 and 100. but i rarely ever hear of other kids with their names. DD's the only kid in the school district in her grade with her name...i LOVE it haha.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• No, I never thought about that at all. My kids names have meaning to me. That's it.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I didn't worry about it at the time, but in hindsight, I'm glad we used one that was somewhere around the 80's or 90's rather than the top thirty. There are so many kids at DS's school that have the same name, some of them cross-gender (I can think of 4 Jordan's off hand, 2 are boys, 2 are girls) and his school isn't even that big. If he's been a girl, there would be at least 2 others with the name we'd planned to use.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• being a Jennifer born in 1981 (it was BAD, they wrote special books on the subject.) I'd never choose a name even in the top 50!

what happens is you're labeled other than names. my classes always had:
    the tall jennifer
    the smelly jennifer
    the rich jennifer
    the math stupid jennifer
    the jennifer with the ugly mom, etc etc etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• My boyfriend and I wanted something that had personal meaning to us, adsomething that would be recognizable to teachers and others who would be seeing the name. We weren't all that into some of the very unique names we'd been hearing. But other than that, we didn't really consider how popular or uncommon a name was.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I really didn't think about it when I was naming my DD. I've known since high school my first daughter's name would be Scarlett Abigail. She goes by Abby and it's quite popular, but we'll see just how popular it is when she starts school in the fall. I prefer not to have a Top Ten name with my next child.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• It never even occurred to me when picking out names. I just picked out ones that we liked.

Apparently it was a very popular name at the time (1986) b/c his 6th grade class had 5 other Brians in it. *sigh*
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Not really, I gave my kids popular names at the time of their birth but with unique spellings.....and my son had no choice to have his father's name after two girls first, dad wanted it to carry on...

Answer by older at 6:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• It really doesn't matter. We chose our kids names because they weren't popular, even spelled one differently. Now, all our kids names are considered popular. Once someone hears it and likes it the names become popular. Choose what suits your child. We had a totally different name picked for our last one. Once we saw her, we knew she didn't look like that name. My hubby and mom named her and it suits her perfectly. One of our kids picked her name from a list while we asked her (in my belly) she kept kicking only when that name came up. So, we figured she liked it. 15 years later she hates it and goes by a nickname. lol
    Choose what you like. Most names become popular eventually lol
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 3:28 AM on Mar. 30, 2013

• "I'm named Ginger, . . . .. While not nearly as bizarre as some of the names out there now because ours are just uncommon, not made up, they were still on the 'too different' side for us growing up and there was a lot of teasing going on. "

I have the same situation. While my name isn't totally unheard of, it is not a common name, and I never had someone with the same name in my classes. And yes there was teasing. In my 20 years as a teacher, I have only had 2 students with my name. . I can't stand my name. It doesn't fit me. I didn't consider the popularity of my kids names, I just liked the names. My daughter's name is somewhat popular, and my son's name is very common.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2013