How important is name popularity to you?

I like a few names Caroline and Evelyn for girls and Logan for a boy but since they are so popular we are not sure whether to go ahead and use them. I had a popular name as did my husband and daughter. My sons is less common. The affect his name has on people has a bit more of a wow factor, the name is nothing made up or too weird just underused and I think it comes of refreshing to people because its heard less. My daughters is a top ten name and while I adore it and it fits her it gets less of that response. We do like uncommon names or underused I would say but these three before mentioned stick with us a bit.

What are your opinions, does popularity weigh on your decision? Either way really be it to popular or too unique ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2013 in Baby Names

• i go with what i like
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• It's not. I focused more on meaning and what I liked. what used to be fairly uncommon at the time, is now pretty popular.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:18 PM on May. 29, 2013

• DH's last name is very common so we didn't want a common name, we didn't want completely off the wall like Apple or Queen either. Our DDs names are "unique" though, August Ruth and Aberdeen Gail. There is a boy in town named August, but he's 6 years older. And we call the little one Abbie, so that's more common.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 12:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Popularity was a factor in naming my son. I did not want him to have a name that lots of other kids would have. I even changed his name when the first name I picked started being really popular. I went to school with a girl that had the same name as me, spelled the same way as mine with a last name that started with the same first letter as mine. It was annoying and confusing. I picked a very normal but not common first name - Erik - and then picked a more unusual name for a middle name. It worked, no one in the school of our small town has the same first name, one kid in the school(in fact in the same grade) has my son's middle name as his first name.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 2:19 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• Not
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 9:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2014