How important is name popularity to you?

I like a few names Caroline and Evelyn for girls and Logan for a boy but since they are so popular we are not sure whether to go ahead and use them. I had a popular name as did my husband and daughter. My sons is less common. The affect his name has on people has a bit more of a wow factor, the name is nothing made up or too weird just underused and I think it comes of refreshing to people because its heard less. My daughters is a top ten name and while I adore it and it fits her it gets less of that response. We do like uncommon names or underused I would say but these three before mentioned stick with us a bit.

What are your opinions, does popularity weigh on your decision? Either way really be it to popular or too unique ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2013 in Baby Names

• Not
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 9:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2014

• Popularity was a factor in naming my son. I did not want him to have a name that lots of other kids would have. I even changed his name when the first name I picked started being really popular. I went to school with a girl that had the same name as me, spelled the same way as mine with a last name that started with the same first letter as mine. It was annoying and confusing. I picked a very normal but not common first name - Erik - and then picked a more unusual name for a middle name. It worked, no one in the school of our small town has the same first name, one kid in the school(in fact in the same grade) has my son's middle name as his first name.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 2:19 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• DH's last name is very common so we didn't want a common name, we didn't want completely off the wall like Apple or Queen either. Our DDs names are "unique" though, August Ruth and Aberdeen Gail. There is a boy in town named August, but he's 6 years older. And we call the little one Abbie, so that's more common.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 12:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• It's not. I focused more on meaning and what I liked. what used to be fairly uncommon at the time, is now pretty popular.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:18 PM on May. 29, 2013

• i go with what i like
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2013

• "I'm named Ginger, . . . .. While not nearly as bizarre as some of the names out there now because ours are just uncommon, not made up, they were still on the 'too different' side for us growing up and there was a lot of teasing going on. "

I have the same situation. While my name isn't totally unheard of, it is not a common name, and I never had someone with the same name in my classes. And yes there was teasing. In my 20 years as a teacher, I have only had 2 students with my name. . I can't stand my name. It doesn't fit me. I didn't consider the popularity of my kids names, I just liked the names. My daughter's name is somewhat popular, and my son's name is very common.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• It really doesn't matter. We chose our kids names because they weren't popular, even spelled one differently. Now, all our kids names are considered popular. Once someone hears it and likes it the names become popular. Choose what suits your child. We had a totally different name picked for our last one. Once we saw her, we knew she didn't look like that name. My hubby and mom named her and it suits her perfectly. One of our kids picked her name from a list while we asked her (in my belly) she kept kicking only when that name came up. So, we figured she liked it. 15 years later she hates it and goes by a nickname. lol
    Choose what you like. Most names become popular eventually lol
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 3:28 AM on Mar. 30, 2013

• Not really, I gave my kids popular names at the time of their birth but with unique spellings.....and my son had no choice to have his father's name after two girls first, dad wanted it to carry on...

Answer by older at 6:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• It never even occurred to me when picking out names. I just picked out ones that we liked.

Apparently it was a very popular name at the time (1986) b/c his 6th grade class had 5 other Brians in it. *sigh*
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I really didn't think about it when I was naming my DD. I've known since high school my first daughter's name would be Scarlett Abigail. She goes by Abby and it's quite popular, but we'll see just how popular it is when she starts school in the fall. I prefer not to have a Top Ten name with my next child.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2013