How important is name popularity to you?

I like a few names Caroline and Evelyn for girls and Logan for a boy but since they are so popular we are not sure whether to go ahead and use them. I had a popular name as did my husband and daughter. My sons is less common. The affect his name has on people has a bit more of a wow factor, the name is nothing made up or too weird just underused and I think it comes of refreshing to people because its heard less. My daughters is a top ten name and while I adore it and it fits her it gets less of that response. We do like uncommon names or underused I would say but these three before mentioned stick with us a bit.

What are your opinions, does popularity weigh on your decision? Either way really be it to popular or too unique ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2013 in Baby Names

• Yes, I considered popularity when naming my kids. If a name was too common or too popular I wouldn't use it. Also if a name was very uncommon I wouldn't use it.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 12:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I didn't even think about it with my kids. I know that 2 of the 3 will never be popular in the US but aren't completely unheard of or made up. That is just fine with us. The other one is somewhat popular but not obnoxiously so.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• It didn't bother me all that much.
    I did ant something recognizable an with strong meanings.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• No, I just have to like it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I name my kids what I wanted. It didn't matter if it was popular or not

Answer by louise2 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• no, whatever you like & for your reasoning you should pick the names for that reason
    Caroline is an older name. I do not think it is too popular these days same with Evelyn?
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• DH and I both wanted our kids to have names that were fairly common. I'm named Ginger, his name was Sonny. While not nearly as bizarre as some of the names out there now because ours are just uncommon, not made up, they were still on the 'too different' side for us growing up and there was a lot of teasing going on. My tastes tend to lead towards the classical anyway, so it was a no brainer for us.

Out of your name choices, I wouldn't call Caroline or Evelyn popular.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Doesn't affect me at all. My oldest is Michael, which most people would say is a really common name but he has never had another Michael in his class, ever and he's 15. On the other hand, some of the names most people would say are less typical are becoming so overused now that they are more common than the "common" names. I simply picked names I liked, regardless of popularity.

Answer by missanc at 1:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Evelyn I think is in the top 50. Caroline is in the top one hundred
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• It's important to me. I wanted my children to not have common names but, also ones that weren't strange or made up.
    My oldest DD's name was number 327 on the SS list the year she was born and has risen a bit since (255 in 2011).
    My youngest DD's was number 562 her birth year & was 356 in 2011. Clearly her name is growing in popularity but, is still less common than my oldest's name.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2013