I understand if you don't believe but...

I do consider it extremely rude when you go to the funeral of a Christian and when the minister starts to talk you say "Do I have to listen to this garbage?" and everyone can hear you. This just happened at the funeral of my Aunt. If this person truely knew my aunt they knew she had a deep belief in God and that when she passed away she would want a minister there.

So I guess my question would be this...am I wrong to feel this man was totally out of place to say this at her funeral? If you don't believe how do you act when you go to the funeral of a Christian friend? Or if you're Christian how do you act at the funeral of a non-Christian?

Shouldn't we all just respect the wishes of the family and not be rude?

baconbits

Asked by baconbits at 12:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2013 in Religious Debate

• My son is no longer christian. It makes him uncomfortable to sit and listen to a priest or minister. He i aware that if he attend a wedding or funeral at a church or a service at a funeral home that is fr a religiously incined person there will be a Mass, or service of some kind. There will be preaching of some kind. He participates but on the periferal. He might be an usheer and his duties during the service are on the outsides of the door. He might go tothe bathroom or to the vestibule. He does not respect my rligon any longer but he respcts that others do. He understands that it would be rude to disrupt the mourning of others. He also knows he has a choice to be there or to step out.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I agree with you he was out of place. He should respect the wishes of the family and the deceased. If he doesn't like it he doesn't have to be there, same as you don't go into a church during Sunday services and start telling everyone that they are stupid or whatever. I would want the same type of respect at my funeral even if the people attending did not agree with my beliefs. It's just a matter of respect as far as I see it.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 1:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• That person made a choice to go to the funeral. I'm atheist but I would never dream of uttering those ignorant words at someone's funeral, even if I don't believe in any of it. A funeral is about showing respect for the dead and honoring them for who they were and what then contributed to this world
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Very disrespectful! He's making the funeral about him, not the deceased.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• it's called being a douche.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• OK... I'm not Christian.... but that's just friggen rude!!! ;o( Sorry hun, no one needs that at a funeral.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Wow... Obviously, someone wasn't taught respect. You don't have to believe in the same things others believe to be respectful of others. My 15-yr-old daughter (who doesn't believe) knows enough to just "go with the flow" when in a situation such as that.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 1:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• He was completely out of line.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• It's extremely disrespectful.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• No, you're not wrong, he behaved rudely. I do not believe in the biblical God at all but, I'd never say that during a funeral service or a wedding either. I consciously make an effort not to roll my eyes (that was really hard at a couple of weddings I've been to) & keep my thoughts to myself.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2013