i have a tailor heavy duty sewing machine model 935 what needles do i get?

will singer needles work in this machine? i know the feet are Singer based.

debby1111

Asked by debby1111 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• What does the MANUAL say to get?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• What type of fabric are you sewing? Going thru 2 layers of blue jean fabric is different then going thru 5 layers of silk. They require different needles.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I would go to the manufacturer's website and see what they recommend. They should have an 800# for help
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Most of the time, needles are selected based on the type of fabric you are sewing. The Singer needles have always worked for me in my White and Brother machines, so I don't think the brand would present a problem.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• It's actually very important to get the right needle for your machine. There are two "sizes" on needles. One is for the fabric, on is for the machine.

The size for the fabric will be something like 70/11, 80/12. 90/14, etc. the large number....70, 80, 90 is the European measurement, the small number is the American number. A 70/11 would be for light weight fabrics, and 90/14, medium weight, and they get bigger. There are more things to know for the fabric.

For the machine- there are needles with flat back shafts, rounded shafts, some have a notch at the top, some are longer, some are shorter. If you use the wrong needle for your machine you can actually throw off the timing in your machine. If it doesn't damage the machine, it can affect the quality of your sewing.

Within the Singer brand alone, there are several machine sizes. Schmetz Brand are all just flat back, and fit certain machines.

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Without the manual I don't know how you would find out what needle you need, and not all manuals tell you. I work in a sewing machine store and on some of the models this information is only on the box, and on the starter pack of needles in the box. (I know this is crazy, it should be in all manuals.)

As far as I know there is no list with this information.

If you don't have the model, I would contact the manufacturer to see if you can find out what needle you need.

Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Oh...and UNIVERSAL...does not mean it fits any machine. Universal means the needle can be used for most fabrics, both woven and knit fabrics
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• What can I say, "ohwrite" said it all.
    Trista H.

Answer by Trista H. at 2:17 AM on May. 1, 2013