What denominations celebrate Good Friday?

growing up my parents' church was one of those "all holidays come from Pagan beginnings therefore they are bad" kinda denominations. my family still celebrated Christmas and Easter but only on a secular level. so Good Friday never meant anything to me growing up, tho i do know why its important to Christians.

if you are Christian do you do anything to celebrate Good Friday? or is it just a day of reflection kinda thing?

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 2:48 PM on Mar. 29, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't ever remember celebrating it growing up in the Presbyterian/Methodist churches. It was acknowledged in church as the day Christ died. The big hoopla was saved for Sunday.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Good Friday is big in the Catholic Church. I remember going to very solemn services growing up. I think some of the religions that are closer to the Catholic Church in their practices, like Episcopalian and Lutheran denominations, have services and acknowledge Good Friday still, but with not as great of an emphasis as the Catholics do. When my dad was still a devout Catholic, we were in church for Holy Thursday to celebrate the LastSupper, then Good Friday which was usually an enactment of the Stations of the Cross, then the Easter vigil on Saturday night, and finally the celebratory mass on Sunday morning. It was a bit much for us kids at the time, but I miss it now in some ways.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I believe that Good Friday is observed by pretty much all Christian denominations as the day Christ died....even if the date is symbolic.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I am Southern Baptist. We had a prayer service at noon, but it's generally much smaller than the Easter Sunday crowd. Other than that, it's not generally celebrated. It's Friday, but Sunday's coming!

Answer by missanc at 3:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I grew up Pentecostal, and don't remember any BIG deal about it -other than it's the day Jesus died _I'm sure there were services and we probably went-but nothing stands out about them to me

Easter was the big day
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Catholic. We can't eat meat today.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Jehovah's Witnesses don't but we hold a Memorial of Jesus Death every year, where we pass the wine and bread
    dirtgirlfashion

Answer by dirtgirlfashion at 9:45 AM on Apr. 15, 2013