I'm so proud of my little munchkin!

I'm popping buttons like crazy over here, so I have to brag before I have none left to hold my shirt together. My daughter just took off on a play date with her cousin and his grandma. Before she went, she told me she wanted to take a bag of plastic Easter eggs to hide with him. Probably three or four dozen eggs in all. I started to tie up the Wal-Mart bag, and she said, like I was clueless, "Mom! The eggs need candy in them. Easter eggs have to have candy, right?"

So I told her the only candy we had was hers, the stuff she'd gotten for Easter at school and the sweets left over from a birthday party she went to recently. She said, "Oh, I can share! I'm good at sharing, and Mack's littler than me so he can pick the eggs he likes first."

We filled all the eggs with candy, and she scooted off to spend the afternoon with her cousin, who's a year young than she is.

So as much as I feel inadequate for this mom job at times, I'm raising a great kid. I must be doing something right. Silly post, I know, but I feel all warm and happy inside.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• What an awesome story! That's a heartwarming one.

And I totally understand the feeling. It's so great when they are flexible about stuff you might assume they'd feel territorial about. Non-attachment.

It's similar to when kids stop eating dessert and say they're done, because they can tell they're full. (Very reassuring or confirming for a parent!)

My oldest enjoys making pinatas (out of paper taped together, lol) for any occasion/holiday at home, and she's the only one with candy to put in it (her leftover Halloween or Christmas candy, birthday party/pinata treats, etc.) but she is free about sharing it that way with her younger siblings. She's all about making things festive: organizing parades/banners/costumes, writing plays to perform with her brothers, and stocking the "pinata" with treats & trinkets from her private stash. She also is pretty good about parting with some candy & coins when THEY "make pinatas" for fun.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Rock on Mama
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• It's the little things that count. Enjoy!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• She's a sweetie
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 2:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Awwww. She obviously has a tender heart.:)
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 2:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I love to hear the good stories and you have every right to be proud of how nice a child she is growing up to be.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Oh, so sweet Ballad! That's wonderful.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Right on!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• That really is awesome Ballad!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Aww.. sweet girl. I hope she had a great day with her cousin.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2013