Want the USPS to deliver your mail on time? Don't put the word "atheist" on it...

The study is real, the stats are quantified and listed in the fine print at the website. The graphic is simply the user-friendly way of sharing the findings, so attempts to dismiss it because of how it looks (while ironic) won't fly. A German company called "Atheist Shoes" noticed that they had more disappearing and delayed deliveries to the US than any other country, so they did an experiment to prove their hypothesis:

Should the USPS investigate this?  Based on this, what are the chances that other mail is being selectively weeded out based on what's written on the packaging?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Interesting!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I've already experienced tons of crap from the USPS. What it all comes down to, I believe, is who and what kind of person you get for a delivery or batch worker. I've had medications that were sent to me arrive with the envelope sliced, so that I knew they were looked at.... lots of coupons and freebies disappear.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• The problem definitely lies within the USA.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• It is a very small experiment but to my way of thinking, Yes, USPS should investigate and form "stings" to locate where the problems are and prosecute those doing it. Tampering with the mail is a federal offense.

It is interesting.

When I read the first line I thought who puts their religious preference on envelopes and then read the rest.
    Then I thought a bit longer and thought well, I do. I put stamps that have religious meanings on my letters sometimes.

Still and all unless it is dangerous or thought to be dangerous (remember the anthrax scares) all packages should be treated the same. Suspect ones should also be handled by the proper authorities. But all the same.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• That's not right. I hope it is investigated, although with the way things tend to work, it won't be.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I put stamps that have religious meanings on my letters sometimes.

And how many more people have address labels that include a symbol of their religion, whichever one it may be? Then there are actual religious or atheist organizations sending out literature people have requested - magazines and charities and all manner of things that have an organization name on them that can include the words "Muslim" or "Atheist" or "Wiccan" or "LDS"...
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• For a country that's supposed to be built on religious freedom, we sure have a problem with religion.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 3:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Actually NP as I was pointing out, I hadn't even realized that I put it on mine too. I can't say I have received any mail that I remember form any charities or groups with those affiliations. I toss 99% of adds and unsolicited stuff anyway.
    All I was trying to say is that I hadn't really considered it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• All I was trying to say is that I hadn't really considered it.

And I was agreeing with you. Defensive much?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Sometimes.
    LOL sometimes with cause.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2013