How to handle a situation when a Mother is threatening to keep her kids away from the father because he is trying to work on things in his new relationship?

So basically my boyfriend and I had a lil tiff (no kids around). He wanted some space and for 1 week we didn't see eachother, but realized we vauled our relationship more than our egos and and working on our differences and how to understand each other better. Well during the week long break his ex wife asked him what was going on or wrong with him (when getting the kids)? He mentioned that we had broken up and needed some space. Well 3 days later she randomly text him to see if he was ok and when he yes "Yes we are working on things" She flipped out on him and said he can't see or take his kids around me. I have never treated those kids wrong and I have a daughter myself. Our kids love each other and call each other sisters. I am always doing arts and crafts with them, taking them to various activities and theme parks. We get the kids EVERY Weekend and now she won't let us have them at all??

stepmomma27

Asked by stepmomma27 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• & I'm not a huge believer in marriage. I feel that if you're both happy & in love with each other than what is a piece of paper going to change? We've both been married before & are just fine with our life together as is. We know what we want in life & we're going on helping each other get there to achieve our goals.
    stepmomma27

Comment by stepmomma27 (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Mar. 30, 2013

• Wasn't* [sorry its my phone]
    stepmomma27

Comment by stepmomma27 (original poster) at 9:25 AM on Mar. 30, 2013

• Btw our split was because he lost a very close friend & pushed me away b/c of it. He doesn't have a relationship with his parents & thus friend was the closest person to him. I fought to show him I was there for him but he was really emotional & just wanted to be alone. He has gone to counseling & is considering his relationship with his father as well. So it want that we couldn't get along or fought over things. It was just a difficult situation for him to bare at first. Regardless of your feeling about 5 months or pregnancy we feel its a blessing. (we've known each other a lot longer than 5 months fyi)
    stepmomma27

Comment by stepmomma27 (original poster) at 9:23 AM on Mar. 30, 2013

• If there is a court order for those visits, call the authorities and make her follow them, or take it to court again

Answer by older at 9:11 AM on Mar. 30, 2013

• If you are only 5 months in on a relationship and have already separated and need to work on "issues" you are not ready for marriage even if you are pregnant.

I wouldn't want my children exposed to the drama. However there's nothing his ex can do to stop you seeing them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:49 AM on Mar. 30, 2013

• Well, they do here, my neighbor has the police come with her everytime she gets her kids from her ex, she allows him to come and get them on his days, but his wife is a psycho nut, and they escort her every time. sad huh? Maybe just the threat of calling the police will be enough for the Mother to get back on track.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 7:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• jerseydiva- I don't know about in other states, but here in California the police will not enforce a court order. They will sometimes escort one party to "keep the peace' if they believe there may be violence, but they do not enforce a court order for visitation. You have to go to court and have a judge find the other party in contempt.

Now...you might have the police go to "keep the peace" and they could give you a police report stating that the other party refused to give up the child for you to take to court, but usually the police won't even get involved.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:13 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• And PS it doesn't cost too much to go to the courthouse and get married, or I suppose you want a wedding and reception blah!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• You call the police to escort the boyfriend (without you to pick up the kids. per court order) He needs to call her and tell her he will be there at whatever time, and if he is forced will have the police come with him.
    Now, this is just honest to you, Why would you get pregnant by someone you knew for only 5 months, it seems to me, that you are not thinking clearly, and yes it is "hard" to date when you have kids, but really you are putting way to much into someone you have been with a short time, I am glad he is a good guy, but 5 months isn't long enough to be a "mom" to his kids, have his baby, and for that matter have even been around them too much, rush, rush, rush. No matter WHAT she does, those kids deserve to have a normal home enviroment with you and him, so it makes me sad you are playing what she does vs. what you all do, all of it is fucked up!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• It is hard to "date" when you have your kids every weekend. So we would get sitters for a few hours on a Sat at first then I would get my Dad or grandma to watch my daughter for a few hours during the week but that was difficult. Our kids are close in age so we just stared doing "play date and activities" with the kids. It made things a lot easier and we got to spend fun time with them and see each other interact with each others kids and our own. I'd rather know if he is a great dad to both his and mine before months down the road.
    stepmomma27

Comment by stepmomma27 (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2013