How would you transport liquid antibiotics?

both kids on amox. for strep, the gross pink goo that must be in the fridge.

leaving for a trip in a few days, we'll depart around 10am and arrive at hotel about 2:30pm. I'm putting the bottles in a cooler but am not sure whether to use ice or ice PACKS (like you'd put in a lunch box) which would u do?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2013 in Kids' Health

• ice

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Call your pharmacist, but I'm pretty sure that amoxicillin doesn't HAVE to be refrigerated, it just improves the taste. Or at least, that's what I've always been told. So I think either would be okay.

Answer by missanc at 3:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Either would be fine. If you put the antibiotics in the cooler, just tuck the bottle in deep enough that it stays cold, instead of tossing it on top.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• i would do a couple of ice packs, to ensure they didn't leak, I think it will be fine.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• We recently did a 5 hr trip with antibiotics that needed refrigeration. I used both freezer packs and ice (in ziplock bags) to surround the bottle. It worked fine. Just make sure you have a prescription on hand or can get one in case the medicine bottles leak during transport and you need to get more once you get there. I'm always worried about things leaking during travel...
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 5:42 PM on Mar. 29, 2013