Twins.....77 pds vs 47 pds

I appologize in advance, I am very scattered on this topic. I have twins, up until about 2 years ago they were identical. But my youngest twin has gone thru a growth spurt, maybe you can call it that. At her Kindergarden physical, she weighed in at 77 pounds where her twin is 47 pounds. I am terrified that she is going to be labeled the "fat twin" It breaks my heart. They eat the same, she doesnt necessarly eat more then her sister she is just heavy. She has terrible allergies to fruits, they give her horrible diarea. If she eats any fruits, it tears threw her stomach and makes her sick for days. I neneed some ideas on healthy foods, anything I can feed her that she wont look at me like I am crazy! She really hates anything "green" I have 4 kids total and she is the only one overweight. My 7 yr old is 57 pounds. I just dont know if putting a 5 yr old on a diet is the right thing to do.

GraceLynnRae

Asked by GraceLynnRae at 4:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Obviously they do not eat the same because one cannot eat fruits and will not eat vegies.
    So you basically have carbs, proteins and fats in one diet and from your inferrance the other one does.
    I am also assuming that you give her other sugary, salty snacks to "make up" for the fruit she misses out on.
    I am not judguing it is kind of normal. But to fix it you have to see it for what it is.
    I would suggest you get your doctor to set up a consultation with a nutritionist.
    Keep track of anything that goes into he mouth, even if it is 1 M&M.
    Take your record with you.
    I did notice that you don't mention anything about her activity level.
    Keep a record of that as well.
    I bet you will be surprised.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• She should have her thyroid tested. Also have her see a nutritionist.

If they are truly identical twins there shouldn't be this big of a weight difference because they will be of similar heights and body structure.  Comparing her to her siblings might not be the best indicator of how much she should weigh, how does she fall on the growth chart for her height and weight?

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• There is nothing wrong with changing her eating habits. I agree a nutritionist will be the best place for you to start with her fructose intolerance.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I would start with the doctor (regarding whether or not "putting a 5 year old on a diet is the right thing to do.") I would think you could consult with a nutritionist. Did the doctor have anything to say at the physical? Or when their growth curve started to diverge so much over the last 2 years?
    It seems like an awful lot of weight to gain, compared to her twin. Is she significantly taller than her twin, as well? Or just heavier?
    (Are they technically--genetically--identical twins or did you just mean "identical" in the sense that they were the same size & build for the first 3 years? If they are fraternal twins, they really are no more alike, genetically, than two siblings of different ages. They share 50% of their genes, as all full siblings do. Whereas identical/monozygotic twins share 100%)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Start with the doctor first, have a blood work up done, if she is eating exactly the same as her twin, she might have some kind of issue, other than that, you are going to have to get her to start eating vegetables, she won't starve, you just can't cave in, lean meats and greens, Jessica Seinfeld wrote a great book on how to incorporate veggies into regular food.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 7:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2013