Did your parent(s) try to teach you to be racist?

I was reminiscing with my mom about the 2 little boyfriends I had in kindergarten,Peter Z,and Peter W. The latter was Chinese,the former was white. I REALLY liked the Chinese boy. He was the only person in my class that wasn't white,and i thought he was AWESOME,lol
My mom kept trying to get me to like the white boy,and it annoyed me. She would tell me that I really shouldn't associate with "those" type of people. Huh? Peter W's dad was a doctor,and his mom owned a floral shop
I asked her recently and she said she was imagining me growing up and marrying him,and "imagine what the kids would have looked like"
I was speechless

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 29, 2013 in Relationships

• LOL, one of my friends I grew up with (her backyard was next to mine) is half Chinese-half white & she's gorgeous! and, her 1/4 Chinese kids are as well.

But, to answer the question: no, thankfully my family didn't. I grew up in the deep south too but, my family has always been more open minded.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Yup. Didn't work for me either. Just made me realize really early on that my parents were nuts and I shouldn't listen to them. :)
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 5:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• My parents never taught me to be racist but I knew my dad was racist against black people. Everytime I brought a friend home that was black he'd be all rude and shit to them. But I'm half Asian and half white and I grew up in an urban community where it was pretty diverse so the only kind of people I can't stand are the ignorant ones. It doesn't matter what color, creed or sexual orientation they are.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 6:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• No way. My mom's father hated Hispanic people, all of them were "damn Mexicans" to him no matter where they came from. When my Spanish dad proposed to my white mom, her dad threatened to leave the family if they married. They married anyway, he divorced my grandmother and had virtually nothing to do with my mom or dad or us three kids till he died a few years ago. So my parents were very accepting of people with different skin colors, languages, etc. That being said, they had their own prejudices, particularly against people they didn't think were especially intelligent or hard-working, but their judgments weren't based on race. Still, image was extremely important to my mom. She complained to me once that my disability ruined her Christmas card picture family because everyone could see I didn't look normal. My eyes tend to wander and not focus, which jumps out in photos, I guess. Everyone has their hang-ups.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:48 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• My dad was pretty racist. Not that he would have ever said anything to anyone's face or in public or anything, but there were nasty comments made at home.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• My grandmother was against interracial couples though. I was told that once when I was young she made a comment about a "zebra couple" and I cried saying that my preschool teacher said color doesn't matter lol. I don't remember that but go me! Also, she was white and married a Mexican. I am now married to a black man and so my son is black, white, and a bit mexican! She doesn't completely disown him but doesn't have much to do with him, which is sad because he was born on her birthday.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Parents no, I'm mixed my great grandfather yes. He didn't like my grandma because she was white. He felt you shouldn't marry outside of your race but I never can recall him treating anyone who wasn't Mexican like trash or talking about them like they were trash other than saying puerto ricans were no good. Lol and I married one I wonder what he would have thought about that.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 6:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Hmmmm, sorta. We lived out in the country in the south. My dad used a lot of terms that are not acceptable these days to refer to other races. He also told me that I better never bring home any black boys (but I'm pretty sure he used other terms). He's not like that anymore and it may have just been the times (back in the 80's), could have been all the beer he drank back then too.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Fortunately, no. They taught us (me and my sister) to not judge people by the color of their skin. My grandma (p) was racist or at least she talked like she was ... used the n-word often. So much so that I threatened to keep our son away from her if she didn't knock that shit off around him.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• No, my parents tried to embrace all of my friendships. Though to be honest, my grandmother tried to teach my father, who is in his 60's) to be racist. He makes comments now and then that kinda make me cringe. I know though, that he is just reflecting the way her grew up. And he is reflecting a lot less than what he surely grew up seeing. My grandmother was AWFUL. I am willing to bet her mother was even worse.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2013