guilty

So my dd is 11 days old. And i BF. Well today at lunch time my nipples hurt so so so bad that i couldnt even touch them without whinning. Therefor, I gave my dd a bottle. And boy oh boy do i feel guilty. should i not be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont think so really but maybe try getting some nipple sheilds so you dont have to bottle feed again! Good luck!
    jpage

Answer by jpage at 3:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• dont beat yourself up!! the one thing you want to be careful about id if you want to continue to BF you dont want to give too many bottles because your supply will get lower. I know it hurts, it hurts bad sometimes. chech how shes latching on. she may not be on there correctly and that can cause a problem. contact your local LaLeche leader and che can help you out! just hang in there it will get better!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 3:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If they are hurting then you are doing something wrong...most likely not latching on properly.

Find a Lactation Consultant or a La Leche League meeting near you. 

Good Luck!

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I know how you feel. After my daughter was born she lost so much weight the first week because my milk never came in so i had to nurse her for as long as i had milk and then i had to give her 2oz of formula. the first week of giving her a bottle i would make it and literally throw it at my husband to feed her, then run upstairs crying until she was done eating. I felt like i was doing something wrong even though i was doing the best i could and doing what was best for her. So no do not feel gulity. you have to feel comfortable or the baby can sense that and may not eat well anyways. get some cream for your nipples and apply it often it is ok for the baby to eat with it on it wont hurt so you dont have to wash them before feeding. and try to NOT let the shower head hit them! good luck!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 3:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Oh Gosh! Don't feel guilty for that. You are trying. No one can expect you to have to suffer if there are alternatives. Some don't even try to BF at all. I never did. My girls are all super smart and super healthy BTW...absolutely no bad effects. No allergies, no illnesses, no problems bonding, no drop in IQ etc. In fact my twins (reason I didn't even try) have 145 IQ and are second and third in their graduating class. All are talented artists. They never even tasted breast milk. There is nothing wrong with formula...in fact more babies died or had to use wet nurses before formula...so HOORAY for formula! If you are using pumped breast milk - you are a saint. The guilt trips we put on moms these days....sigh.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I too would feel horrible guilty so I do understand. What's done is done just try to look at the silver lining. By faltering you now have a regained strength to pull from to continue on, use that strength. Follow as Amanduhpanda has said and all will be perfect. Remember you are doing it and doing well. Hang in there, get that latch checked, and know it does get better.

Anonymous

• I felt guilty when at the beginning I couldnt get my son to latch and he had to have formula because he was too weak to try latching again. I felt extremely guilty..and I got over it..it was only once to build up his energy.

I also found that pumping a few feeds every so often and giving it to my boyfriend to feed my son bottle wise really helped my crack boobs and also to get me plenty of rest. They do say not to do this in the first six weeks..but it was a blessing to me.

Don't worry too much..you are doing great. We all feel guilty when we feel we aren't doing the best for our children...but you are...and you should be proud of that.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:33 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Don't feel guilty, take some Motrin (Ibuprophen), it won't cross into your milk and relax. Lanolin cream will also help. Giving her a bottle one time or two won't make you a bad mom. If you have any more pain meds from your delivery take one of those too. Good Luck and you are doing fine. Also make sure she is latched on good. See if you have access to a lactation consultant (for free) in your area. Most community hospitals have one who can make sure you are using proper position.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 4:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I felt really guilty after I threw in the towel and pumped for about a week cause the pain was too much. But trust me, it does get better. Pain is hard, but no reason not to give your baby what s/he deserves. There were times when I was cracked, bloody, and in tears. But the thought of giving my daughter fake milk that harms babies just sickened me and kept me going. The first weeks are the hardest. Get some nipple cream, manually express some breastmilk on your nipples and let them air dry, put shredded iced carrots in your nursing pads, and buy some soothies. All these will help with the pain. That's IF your latch is correct. Check with a lactation consultant to make sure it is. Try kellymom.com, breastfeeding.com, medela.com, or message me for help. The beginning's tough, just don't give in. If you do, you'll have alot more to feel guilty about. Good luck! I'm here for help =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• btw Research the benefits of breastfeeding and the dangers of formula feeding. It's awesome motivation. Try not to pump unless you truly MUST.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2009