My son argues with every answer I give him, and tells me I'm wrong, SO FRUSTRATING!

He'll ask me a question, then ill give him an answer but then he will sit there and tell me im not right. What can I do to get him to stop this?! It's getting on my last nerve!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• stop answering and tell him to look it up.
    Anonymous

• My younger son is the arguing type. I usually just say "asked and answered or if you don't like my answer go look it up" to him when he tries to argue. He is like musicmaker's son, has to argue everything.

It's hard to not answer back and fight with a young kid, but you have to make the effort.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:14 AM on Mar. 30, 2013

• What kind of question? If he doesn't like your answer, let him find one he likes elsewhere. Pick your battles.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Sounds like he has a need to feel important. Tell him that your love for him is not based on answers every time he asks a question. Don't justify his question with an answer. It's like how you don't argue with someone whose point is invalid to begin with.

If it sounds like he is just doing this for fun and laughing as he says it, then I would just answer his question with another question or teach him a new, less annoying game.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 10:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• He sounds like my son when he was young. I could have said, "Look at that blue sky" and he would have said "The sky is not blue" He had to be opposite of me on everything.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 10:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• What kind of questions is he asking you? Do you mean like homework questions, or asking for permission to do something, or what? Knowing that might make it easier to suggest ideas.

My brother was a big arguing type, even as a kid. He did it for the entertainment value, or the challenge. If your son is like that, take the fun out of it. An argument dies really fast if it isn't fed from at least two sides.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Wait it only gets worse the older they get. I'm entering the teenage years with three.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:36 AM on Mar. 30, 2013

• I've had a little experience with this. Depending on the reactions I've had from one of my kids, I've punished him for being disrespectful and rude, I've told him to prove I'm wrong by looking it up himself, and I've reminded him that I went to school and lived longer than he but, that mom keeps learning because mom is only human.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:36 AM on Mar. 30, 2013

• Just smile and nod, the more reaction you have the more he will keep on doing it....

Answer by older at 2:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• LOL.. my son is 5 and is SURE my husband and I are wrong in just about everything..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2013