What is the best dog food in your opinion?

I've been getting all sorts of different opinions on the "best" food we can feed our 6mo old puppy, but I still don't know which is better.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2013 in Pets

• Blue Buffalo is the one I would swear by.
    Check the ingredient lists.
    Check with your vet. Do not ask for a brand, ask what ingredients should I look for and which should I avoid in a puppy food.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:25 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I just started my senior on Blue Buffalo too. He's had a good experience so far. He used to be so gassy and he'd poop about 8 times a day. This has solved it for him.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• With my first dog, I swore by Innova. The quality is unsurpassed, and there are a lot of ingredients that aren't found in other brands, but you can't buy it in the chain pet stores. Blue Buffalo is more widely available and has many of the same ingredients. The dog I have now has digestive issues and allergies, so I have to give her Hills Ultra ZD, which is available by prescription only and free of most common allergens. It's ridiculusly priced--about $85 for 25 pounds--but it's the only thing she can eat that doesn't eventually leave her with chronic diarrhea.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:27 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Iams used to be a good brand, but the company that bought it a few years ago is relying on its reputation for quality and running it into the ground. The problem is, corn has become a major ingredient, and dogs can't digest corn. It's just a filler to bulk up the food, and many dogs are intolerant or allergic to it. Avoid any dog food that has corn in it, and any where animal proteins such as chicken, lamb, or fish aren't very near the top of the ingredient list. Otherwise, the dog will eat more and poop more, but not benefit nutritionally.

Your vet can give more specific recommendations based on your dog's size, breed, and activity level. Remember, you get what you pay for. Some of the cheaper brands are made with lower grade ingredients and kept in warehouses too long, and they have the nutritional value of cardboard.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• the short list for how to tell if the food is good quality to read the label. If the first ingredient is actual meat not meat by product and it doesn't contain corn or brewers rice, then that is the making for a decent food. This site is also helpful.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I used Canidae with my Greyhound who are notorious "gas hounds" he never had a issue with it and it's good quality stuff.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• Check the ingredients. If the first ingredient is any grain or "meal" stay the hell away. Get something where the main ingredient is an actual MEAT. Chicken (not chicken meal) Lamb, etc.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• Named meat meals are fine. It is just meat with the water removed so it is more concentrated than just meat. If a whole meat it listed then a long list of grains, then the foods main ingredient is actually grain because after all the ingredients are added together then cooked, the meat will fall further down the list. You also want to pick a food that contains NO corn, wheat, soy, artificial colors/preservatives, or un-named meats such as "animal fat" and "meat and bone meal" as those are most likely to include euthanized animals.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 1:14 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• There are many high quality brands out there so it is difficult to say which is BEST. It depends on what a particular dog does best on. A good website to start with is www.dogfoodadvisor.com which lists all brands and rates them from 1 star (worst) to 5 star (best) based on the ingredients list only so be sure to research the brand/company thoroughly.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 1:20 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• There are so many different brands of dog foods, with each having benefits and downsides. My vet I used to go to didn't like the Blue Buffalo which everyone raves about (i cant recall the reason she gave its been some years). I was using Iams for the longest time, growing up we used pedigree and our dog lived to be 14 years old. I think whatever works best with your dogs digestion is best. Right now I'm using I cant remember the brand I think it may still be Iams or Purina either way its a black bag and the first ingredient is lamb. My dog has I believe a sensitive stomach so I bought the food for sensitive skin and stomachs. Ever since I did he has gained his weight back and doesnt have liquid poos everywhere. Typically you can go by ratings for at least trying some foods out, but overall see what works best with your pet.
    lidibolton

Answer by lidibolton at 3:57 PM on Apr. 3, 2013