Orange zest?

I want to try PandaGwen's butternut squash recipe, but I don't know what orange zest is or where to get it.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 11:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Just wash the outside of the orange really well, starting with some boiling water to get the wax coating off. Or buy organic oranges. I used a regular peeler to take the zest off of a bunch of lemons today. But usually I just use my grater. (I just happened to need larger pieces today.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:10 AM on Mar. 30, 2013

• is is literally the peel of an orange. Just finely grated. You can buy an actual 'zesting too' but I just use the fine tooth grater when I need it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• The zest is the colored part of the skin on a citrus fruit. You need to not tak any of the white part of the skin. The colored part is where the oils are and give a nice zip to a dish.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• I love orange and lemon zest. I use my grater. Dontbuse the white part....only the orange. The white part will be bitter.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 9:22 AM on Mar. 30, 2013

• It's on your Orange! You get an orange and a Micro-plane, or an orange zester, even a cheese grater works, and you scrap the skin off of the orange, thus the zest. Do this to limes and lemons too for an awesome kick of flavor in whatever dish your citrus calls for. Then you cut the orange and squeeze the juice.
    Zest Before Juicing!

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2013

• Delicious! Zest away girl.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:30 AM on Mar. 30, 2013

• If you don't have a zesting tool, you can just use a regular peeler on an orange rind. Then, chop into small pieces.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:32 AM on Mar. 30, 2013

• Wow, you learn something new every day!
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 12:08 AM on Mar. 30, 2013

• Can I store it if I peel an orange but don't need the zest right away?
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2013