seizures

Hello..what a seizure looks like? how is it? How can i know if my baby is having any? when he is tired and try to fall sleep he starts moving his head side by side for 5 seconds or maybe 10? could be a seizure?thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• heres a website with some more info. it honestly doesnt sound like a seizure at all. kids just have different weird ways of fallin asleep!

http://www.drgreene.com/21_1083.html
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 3:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• There was a ctually a post from a mom the other day I responded to where her baby was shaking his head like he was saying no every time he was falling asleep. My ds has been doing that since birth just a few seconds to find his comfy spot and where he wants to lay. Many woman responded that their babies do the exact same thing. I personally would not assume a seizure I think your baby is trying to get comfy.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 4:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• the whole head shaking like you are explaining is what my son does since he was born and he is now 3 years old. i just think its his body wearing down from being so active, although i know you said you have a baby.. but i dont really think they are siezures... just winding down before he goes to sleep. its actually pretty funny sometimes to watch. some signs of seizures are blank starring with no eye movement also known as grand mal seizures. others involve shaking of the arms and the head will actually tilt back like the body is having a huge muscle spasm.
    Anonymous

• Seizures are basically a shut-down of the entire nervous system and would look more violent than that. Imagine what a computer does when it reboots.

My fiance has epilepsy and I've seoen many seizures. He breathes heavy or doesn't breath at all and becomes very stiff and shakes violently. It's very scary. They head movement thing is probably the equivalent of when you're shaken out of your sleep (when you feel like you're falling at it wakes you up; it's your body's way of telling you you're not breathing.)

Hope that helped a little.
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 4:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• It could be a seizure... There are so many different types, but it's probably not. Get a video of it, and bring it to your pediatrician. My son has 50-200+ seizures a day, and each one only lasts for a couple seconds. He throws both arms out and his head drops. They've changed a little over the years, but they certainly never looked like the classic, violent shaking seizure most people think of. Sad thing is that his tiny seizures are one of the only types that actually cause brain damage, so it's been devastating. :( Keep an eye on your little one's development, and bring a video to your doc. He'll probably be fine! *HUGS*
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2009