Why is it bad to put opened cans in fridge?

Ok...so is this a myth or fact? I know my grandma and mother have always said to not put opened canned goods back in fridge just in the can. WHY am I doing this? Does it make food posioned...taste bad?

lesliegail22

Asked by lesliegail22 at 3:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Cans are also notoriously dirty from shipping & storage (think rodent droppings) and there is a greater chance of a bacteria being transferred from outside the can to the food inside the can after it has been opened, so unless you regularly wash your cans both before & after opening them, I wouldn't risk it. If that's not enough of a reason for you, there is also that foods stored in opened cans cannot be adequately sealed & off flavors may develop as the food's flavors mix with other flavors in the refrigerator.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Something about the reaction of the cold + tin/metal contaminating the food.
    Try google?
    Anonymous

• I think salmonella?
    Anonymous

• Not exactly sure, but I think maybe there is the danger of rust forming on the metal and getting into the food.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2009