Are you daughters into American girl?

Did you buy Saige, the doll of the year. She looks not so much fun, as other dolls? My daughter got disappointed in this doll, even though she loves outfit. Is your daughter crazy for American doll brand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Nope my dd likes monster trucks more then dolls
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 3:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• My now 11 yo dd did. She's "too old" for them now but I have a ton of AG stuff (dolls, clothes, pets, furniture, etc) I'm saving for when my 2 yo gets to that stage.

Answer by missanc at 3:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• My DD was into them for a short time. She never had an actual American Girl because there wasn't a girl who looked like her AND whith whose story she identified. My mom got her a Gali Girl, who is the Jewish version. And she had it customized the doll to look very much like DD.

DD is now 13, and over dolls. She was never really into them the way some of her friends were.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• Nope. The hobby's way too expensive.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• No, those dolls are way too much money. Especially since I know my girls would just destroy them.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• She is still a little young for AG dolls but I am planning on getting her one when she is older.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• You can get dolls secondhand.
    You can also repurpose items that are the right scale as accessories for the dolls, rather than buying the "official" accessories. (Christmas ornaments can be particularly good for things like doll-sized milkshakes, tea pots & cozies, desserts on little plates, kitchen appliances, etc. Also, kitchen magnets, and keychains. Even little erasers shaped like food are very realistic & a good size. You can also make food items out of polymer clay.)
    My daughter had a bunch of eraser & polymer clay sweets & ice cream cones, and thought the AG bakery cabinet would be a nice way to store & play with them all, but way too expensive. I got a cheap hobby store cabinet with glass doors and topped it with a marble "chinchilla chiller" slab from a pet store that was just the right size. I also found a little Tupperware magnet that was a very realistic-looking mini ice cream scoop.
    Lots of play value, short money.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• My daughter does like to read the books for the historical girls. And she has a couple she collects for, though not strictly American Girl merchandise. A music box shaped like a small Depression era radio, a small Little Orphan Annie doll for Kit (the Depression era girl), chickens & eggs that Kit raised (in the stories), a vintage toy stove & washing machine that's the right scale (rather than the plastic ones AG sells for Kit.) She also has a collection of pioneer stuff (for Kirsten.)

I haven't looked at the girl of the year this year. We've never gotten one of those. My daughter likes to look at the catalog but it's pretty much read-only for her. We made a lot of foods & things about 2 years ago and now she just plays with what she has, rather than gathering very much more. She's getting a mini Etch-A-Sketch in her Easter basket that is doll-sized, though. Some keychains (like Ugly doll) are the right size for accessories.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• Thank the good Lord, no!

One of her best friends is though and her mom tells me how much she spends on those things. Ridiculous, IMO.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2013