I was always told that in Judaism, the word "god" is written G-d out of respect...

but today there's a minister (or at least someone claiming to be a minister) here in the RD section who insists it's done entirely for superstitious reasons...

one thing that is really important is how the Jews removed God's Name , due to superstitions

I've heard multiple explanations for why it's considered respectful or necessary to write it that way if one is so inclined.  Never have I heard it was a superstition.  Is this some new teaching, or is it just one of those things that come from the anti-Semetic brands of Christianity?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2013 in Religious Debate

• She's an idiot NP!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• I've heard that the name isn't fully spelled for much the same way that you wouldn't look directly upon the face of God. That it's a respect and deference thing.

I could totally be wrong though so I'd be interested to know exactly why
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• Courtesies were extended to her and she still had tunnel vision.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• We don't write the name of G-d so it cannot be desecrated or erased. It's a matter of reverence and respect. I don't know enough to say whether or not it's rooted in superstition. It very well might be, but not in the way that said poster would be implying. Honestly, I couldn't get through the first page of self righteous drivel to even find the reference. Even as a semi-observant Jew (who obviously doesn't keep the shabbat) I find it weird when someone uses "I have my bible" as proof of anything but the invention of the printing press.

When any of our sacred books - prayer books, copies of things with the names of G-d/word G-d like for study or classes, Torahs are worn out beyond repair we don't throw them out. There are special burial places for them. Synagogues often have one or have access to one.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• Balagan_imma, thanks for the info. I always wondered why some people wrote God's name that way, but I never even knew it was a Jewish thing. Interesting about the burial places for the sacred books, too.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• It went poof
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• Figures. She promised she'd be back to debate me. Is there nothing she won't lie about?! Lol
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• It went poof

At least balagan had a chance to write the real explanation (and thanks for that). I doubt the OP of that cluster will ever see it, but it comes up enough that maybe it will help others who never understood why.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• It went poof
    ****

yeah- while I was reading the last few pages-and I wasn't done yet! (I had been rinsing out my hair and came back to check on it)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• yeah- while I was reading the last few pages

If you were reading for content- it got worse
    If you were reading for entertainment - it got better
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2013