Does anyone else's kid get super shy once they skype?

OK, DD is NOT shy, not at all. She talks, talks, talks, and then does some more talking, and singing, and just "performing" in general. That is, until skype comes on. She clams up and "no" is her response to everything, plus she usually screams and throws a fit if we try to get her in front of the computer so our families can actually see her.
I must say today was a bit better, she did talk for a bit, but she still refused to sing for them or really answer any of the questions. She talked though, which is an improvement.

I have no idea what the difference between skype and in person is, but apparently there is a difference.

I plus, once skype came up she instantly said "Hi Gamma", I was impressed that she immediately recognized that it was grandma. She has only seen grandparents a handful of times in person. She sees them on skype, but that was the first time she said anything without us prompting her of what to say.

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 8:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2013 in General Parenting

• I don't know that she would have the words to explain this at 2 1/2, but I, whether as a child or now as an adult, don't like being the center of attention. I can talk and even "perform" in person for people I know well, but put me in front of a camera and all I want to do is hide. Think of it as stage fright, even though there's no stage or actual performance. There's something about that camera and knowing that the person on the other side of it is focusing all their attention on you that makes it scary and intimidating. Maybe that's what's going on for her? If that's the case, there's not a whole lot you can really do. Trying to force it will only make it worse. The best I could suggest, if this is what it is for her, is to just keep encouraging her to get in front of the camera but don't force her. It can also help sometimes to have the other person put their hand over their camera. Don't know why, but it does.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• It took years for DS to talk on the phone or skype. I don't think my dad ever got more than 4 words out of him at a time. I always just figured it was because he was male ;)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• How old is your daughter? Some small kids are confused by the idea that Grandma and Grandpa, the people they know, are the same as Grandma and Grandpa on the computer screen. I have a friend whose niece was deployed in Iraq, and at first her toddler was afraid to talk to her on Skype. Then, once she got used to that and her mom came back, the poor thing was afraid to talk to her in person, and just sat on the lap of the grandma she'd been staying with and blew kisses at her mom the way she'd grown accustomed to doing on Skype.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• Yep, my son is the same way. Even when we got him in the picture he was more interested in seeing himself in the little box in the corner.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• She is 2 1/2, I thought she would get used to it, since we have relied on skype for a year now.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• We use skype all of the time and it's hit or miss with the 3yo. Sometimes I will have her draw something for grandma and ask her to show it during skype as an icebreaker. It's better to kind of side step in, interact with her in front of the camera not mentioning the skyper and let the skyper join in as it were. Does that make sense? It will probably get easier. GL
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:44 AM on Mar. 31, 2013