Have you moved just to start over?

Have you ever moved to a new state just to "start over" or have a "fresh start"?

What was it like?
Are you glad you did it?

Or have you ever moved on impulse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2013 in Travel

• I did, yes. I have only one piece of advice about it.... Move further south!!!!! I didn't move quite far enough. LOL.

No really, I did. I was actually promised a job and we packed up everything and moved. The weekend after we moved in, I went to talk to the guy that promised me a job, only to find out that he didn't really have a job available.

Anyway, it was tough for about the first two weeks. I cried, my girls cried... but I had a friend that told me before I moved to allow myself a month before I decided I hated it and wanted to move back. Good advice from that friend! I lived my first 30 years in the same area.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• I thought about it when I was younger and not tied to a mortgage and a business with a retail location, but I never quite had the guts. If you'd like to start over and nothing is holding you back, and you have a job where you want to go, then venture out! What have you got to lose?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• No. I live in the perfect place (at least for me!) and would never move.

Answer by missanc at 9:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• Yes, a few times. The last time, it was from Illinois to Nevada. We put the house up for sale and it sold in three days, so we just picked up and left. We didn't even take the time to house hunt. I am very glad we did it. There's something about cleaning the slate and starting all over that feels so good. We plan to do it again in three more years.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• I am moving to Arizona or back to get a fresh start the first time it was awesome and I am sure it will be again!!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• We moved from Los Angeles to Wyoming, to get out of the city. We loved it, although the weather was a little rough. We stayed 6 years, and could have been happy there if we'd stayed, but we decided our real home is here in Los Angeles, and I admit, I'm very happy to be back home. Sometimes I do miss the peace of Wyoming.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• I did in my twenties. I had been working in and out of state and went through a really awful break up. When I decided to leave him (we were living together) I moved to NYC. I had work connections there, but little else. It was hard and scary for the first six months, but I threw myself into my career and did really well financially. I lived there for ten years and met my DH there. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2013

• Yes I did. When I was 18. It was partly to escape a terrible relationship with a controlling boyfriend. I moved to South Dakota to live with my parents while I got back on my feet. I started college, joined the military, and now I am married to a great man and have 2 beautiful kids with a great job. I am very glad I left Colorado, it seems that leaving helped me bloom.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:45 AM on Mar. 31, 2013

• I decided not to go back to Scotland after a year's contract work in France because I had met the man of my life here. so I didn't move to start over, I moved to start a new life! And I'm still here! And I'm still happy!
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:41 AM on Mar. 31, 2013

• Yes, when I was younger and more portable. I discovered that when you move you still carry your emotional insecurities, past and many of your old problems that is why they call it "emotional baggage" however if the situations and locations don't suit you or you need a catalyst for change it certainly is not a bad thing.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 9, 2013