Anyone suspect a link between birth control and IBS?

After months and months of testing to rule out Crohns, Colitis, celiac etc my doctor believes I have IBS. I've been suffering with horrible episodes of severe stomach pain followed by hours of diarrhea for over two years now and nothing has helped. About a year ago I noticed that my episodes starting occurring more frequently AFTER i switched to Balzvia birth control. I'm not sure if that was just a fluke or if there is a link but was curious as to if anyone else had this same suspicion. Im planning on calling my gynecologist to see what she says as well but I know most doctors dont always like to admit to links or side affects of medicines

mylilboy00

Asked by mylilboy00 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2013 in Health

• Actually yes. I tried birth control last fall to replace my hormone method. I had severe stomach issues. I'm not sure what caused that reaction for me though, because Activella works just fine.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• I have IBS and am not on BC pills
    The disease is psychological in nature. Stress and cortisone related

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• There is no link between the two. If you do have IBS it could be due to genetics, stress, some antibiotics can cause this or your lifestyle, such as types of food you eat etc.

I've never heard of BC causing this.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• PMSmom10 and butterflyblue19, that is what I have read that there is no link between the two but I was just curious what others thought.
    mylilboy00

Comment by mylilboy00 (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• Have you tried changing your diet?
    You could have a gluten allergy, be lactose intolerant, or you're just eating too much junk.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2013