My dog (3 yrs old) WON'T walk on a leash!

I have a 3 yr old Shih Tzu. I would love to be able to take him for walks, but he just won't walk on a leash. I have tried every collar/harness out there and none of them help. When I try to walk him, he digs his feet into the ground and I end up dragging him which causes my dog to jump/flip through the air and to roll on the ground. He also cries when I try to walk him, he hates being on a leash. He has never walked on a leash since I've gotten him (when he was 8 wks old).
Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Pets

• Our 4 yr old border collie/australian shepherd had never seen a leash before either. I kept her on a leash at the rodeo arena last month when she was in heat and she hated it, and acted much the same way your shih tzu is. I've always just dragged them along, but being that shih tzus eyes, like pugs and other short-nosed breeds' eyes can actually pop out at too tight of a collar or pull on the leash, I would suggest doing what I do to lead break horses. leave the leash hooked to his collar at all times. he will step on it, get it hung on things, and eventually get to a point where he tolerates its existence. make sure that every time he comes to you for attention you play with the leash, make his head move back and forth, side to side, just teaching him to take direction from the rope. eventually he will get the hang of it.

i've never heard of a halti either... i'm stingy, and would avoid spending where i don't need it...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Have you tried a halti?
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 3:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I agree with 2-1CavWife b/c halti's are WONDERFUL! I trained all my dogs with them and now I don't use them b/c they listen.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 5:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I had a corgi and a coonhound. Both dogs were extremely stubborn and wouldn't walk on a leash. I used halti's on both of them and it worked well. Since the dog's nose is very sensitive the halti works like a horse bridle. It bulls on their nose and they go away from from the pressure, and you dont have to drag them or choke them to death.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I've actually never heard of a halti. Where can I find one? Do they make them for small breeds? You mention that they go over the dogs nose, my Shih Tzu has a short nose, would it still work?
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 9:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Loved the answer that "matobe" gave and I can attest to that her methods work as I've done the same training methods she has used that it works!!

you rock

Susanmomof

Answer by Susanmomof at 3:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2009