Feel like I'm failing as a mom with this...Potty time

My son turned 3 March 16 and I still have not managed to potty train him...I really feel guilty but I lead a busy life between work, school and being a human lol. Not that I put that stuff before him but the times I really get to teach him he's not interested...what now?

TheSuperWomom

Asked by TheSuperWomom at 10:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you want to fail as a mom, you'll have to try a lot harder than just not having your son potty trained by the age of three. Especially with boys, doctors don't usually even start looking for medical problems till they're four and untraned. You may be beating your head against the wall; your son might just not be ready. My daughter resisted potty training, no matter what I tried, till she was three and a half. Then one day she decided she was a big girl and all but trained herself in two weeks. I think waiting and not pushing was the key.

So like I said, you aren't a failure as a mom on account of this. Try sticking your kid in the washing machine and turning it on the cold cycle as punishment, or leaving him in a closed car while you hit the bar, then when you come back and tell us, we'll assure you that you are a big old mom fail! Till then, enjoy your son and don't be so hard on yourself.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• potty training was the second worst mom experience ive had so far...my DD was 4 before she totally "got it". i have no advice for you other than keep at it. i tried every method...2 week, 1 week, 5 day, 3 day...nothing. i tried operant conditioning and tokens...nothing. sometimes you just have to wait it out and let them get it when they get it. sorry, i know it feels awful, but just remember someday in the close future he will be potty trained and you can go back to feeling like the awesome mom that you are!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• I know several little ones who didn't train fully until 3.5 and 4 years. Be consistent and stay calm. It will happen sooner or later!!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 12:19 AM on Mar. 31, 2013

• Lol thanks...if you don't mind me asking what was your first worst experience?
    TheSuperWomom

Comment by TheSuperWomom (original poster) at 10:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2013

• breastfeeding. neither kid would latch without me feeling like i was being stabbed in the chest with knives and i always felt like i was having the life sucked out of me. with my first everyone told me "breastfeeding doesnt hurt if you do it right" and that i wasnt trying hard enough. so i felt like a failure, had everyone around me telling me i was a failure and lazy, and a crying baby that just wanted to be fed. with my second i just said "screw this!" and put him on formula haha.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2013