Easter Eggs

There was a segment during one of those how-do-they-make-that shows on Discovery about Easter eggs. It was saying Americans use 20 million extra eggs during the week of Easter, over and above the regular egg supply. So about six weeks before Easter, farmers start shortening the artificial light and dark cycles in the egg factories, since the appearance of sunlight in the morning stimulates the hens to lay. At the peak of production, the "sun" comes up and goes down every eight hours, or three times a day, so that the number of eggs produced is tripled.

Poor chickens! Besides that, I'm guessing that could mean the eggs we are eating might be six weeks old.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 11:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Damn, I believe it though. I bought an extra carton just for egg dying purposes. I will eat them, since they are already cooked, but normally I wouldn't eat that many eggs.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:34 AM on Mar. 31, 2013