Remedies for ear pain.

Please help! I remember a friend telling me something about olive oil and garlic, but I can't remember what it was. I am about to google it, but figured I might as well ask. DS has had his ear infection for over a week now, we have used the ear drops for 7 days, but they aren't doing the trick. He can't see the doctor until Thursday and he is completely miserable. He usually takes 2 1-2 hour naps on the weekends and he has maybe slept for 15 minutes total so far today. He woke up an hour earlier than normal too, he is a crabass but nothing I do is helping. I have already given tylenol.

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 12:40 AM on Mar. 31, 2013 in Kids' Health

• The only thing I've ever used in ears is mullein garlic drops. It's a blend of herbal drops in a bottle and includes mullein flower & garlic oil/clove in an olive oil base. (I would say it's definitely different than just using some fresh garlic & olive oil.)

I used it at my doctor's recommendation. (I said I had heard of garlic oil being good for ear infections, and she confirmed that I could get good results with mullein/garlic oil.)

Applying a squirt of breastmilk is another healing & antimicrobial option.

girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 3:19 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Try putting a damp washrag in the microwave and heating it up just to where it feels almost too warm on the inside of your wrist. Then have your son hold it against his ear. It won't solve the problem, but it might settle him down enough that he can drift off to sleep.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2013

• Awe poor thing. :(

I wish I knew of something.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2013

• I might have to try that one, not sure he will sit still long enough for me to hold it though. LOL, is only 15 months and doesn't sit under the best of circumstances, but he has been throwing fits like crazy today because he is in pain. I love how when reading it says that 8 out of 10 children don't get infections once they have ear tubes. Well, he has ear tubes and earlier this month he had an infection that lasted 3 weeks, and we are over 1 week on this one. It also said that antibiotic ear drops work much better than oral when they have ear tubes. Funny, the only thing that got rid of his 3 week one was omincef (strong oral antibiotic), and I was told to do 7 days of drops this time, and today marks day 8 with no improvement.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 12:55 AM on Mar. 31, 2013

• Olive oil works well. Lightly warmed, like you would a young baby's bottle - just warm on the wrist. It helped to soothe the ear pain so all of us could get some rest.

I would call tomorrow and raise holy hell and get him in asap.

Hope he gets better soon and stays that way!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:05 AM on Mar. 31, 2013

• When our oldest son was a baby he had chronic ear aches as well. We did the tubes, antibiotics etc.
    Eventually he started getting strep throat. Antibiotics would clear it up and ear ache and strep would come back again.
    I finally took him to an ENT DR. and he said his tonsils and adnoids were enlarged and needed to be removed. Which we did. He was around 2 1/2. After that, he never experienced ear infections or strep again.
    Wonder if maybe this is what's going on?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:07 AM on Mar. 31, 2013

• Removing the adenoids seems to be the next step. Our pediatrician is talking about doing an immunology work up on him. Unfortunately Thursday is the first available appointment with ENT, if it gets worse before then, I will probably just bring him to pediatrics (since I do work there), but the ENT doc wants to see him.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 1:15 AM on Mar. 31, 2013

• Awww sorry!! Got any breastmilk?

I heard that garlic was a no go. Burns them.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:17 AM on Mar. 31, 2013

• No breastmilk here...He is now taking oral antibiotics and seeing ENT tomorrow. His ear infection is so bad his ear is now bleeding.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 6:59 AM on Apr. 3, 2013