Pope washes women's feet in break with church law - The Denver Post

A long way to go, but maybe headed in the right direction?

ROME—In his most significant break with tradition yet, Pope Francis washed and kissed the feet of two young women at a juvenile detention center—a surprising departure from church rules that restrict the Holy Thursday ritual to men.
No pope has ever washed the feet of a woman before, and Francis' gesture sparked a debate among some conservatives and liturgical purists, who lamented he had set a "questionable example." Liberals welcomed the move as a sign of greater inclusiveness in the church.

Speaking to the young offenders, including Muslims and Orthodox Christians, Francis said that Jesus washed the feet of his disciples on the eve of his crucifixion in a gesture of love and service.

"This is a symbol, it is a sign. Washing your feet means I am at your service," Francis told the group, aged 14 to 21, at the Casal del Marmo detention facility in Rome.

"Help one another. This is what Jesus teaches us," the pope said. "This is what I do. And I do it with my heart. I do this with my heart because it is my duty. As a priest and bishop, I must be at your service."

In a video released by the Vatican, the 76-year-old Francis was shown kneeling on the stone floor as he poured water from a silver chalice over the feet of a dozen youths: black, white, male, female, even feet with tattoos. Then, after drying each one with a cotton towel, he bent over and kissed it.

Previous popes carried out the Holy Thursday rite in Rome's grand St. John Lateran basilica, choosing 12 priests to represent the 12 apostles whose feet Christ washed during the Last Supper before his crucifixion.

Before he became pope, as archbishop of Buenos Aires, the former Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio celebrated the ritual foot-washing in jails, hospitals or hospices—part of his ministry to the poorest and most marginalized of society. He often involved women. Photographs show him washing the feet of a woman holding her newborn child in her arms.

That Francis would include women in his inaugural Holy Thursday Mass as pope was remarkable, however, given that current liturgical rules exclude women.

Canon lawyer Edward Peters, who is an adviser to the Holy See's top court, noted in a blog that the Congregation for Divine Worship sent a letter to bishops in 1988 making clear that "the washing of the feet of chosen men ... represents the service and charity of Christ, who came 'not to be served, but to serve.'"

While bishops have successfully petitioned Rome over the years for an exemption to allow women to participate, the rules on the issue are clear, Peters said.

"By disregarding his own law in this matter, Francis violates, of course, no divine directive," Peters wrote. "What he does do, I fear, is set a questionable example."

The Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, said he didn't want to wade into a canonical dispute over the matter. However, he noted that in a "grand solemn celebration" of the rite, only men are included because Christ washed the feet of his 12 apostles, all of whom were male.

"Here, the rite was for a small, unique community made up also of women," Lombardi wrote in an email. "Excluding the girls would have been inopportune in light of the simple aim of communicating a message of love to all, in a group that certainly didn't include experts on liturgical rules."

Others on the more liberal side of the debate welcomed the example Francis set.

"The pope's washing the feet of women is hugely significant because including women in this part of the Holy Thursday Mass has been frowned on—and even banned—in some dioceses," said the Rev. James Martin, a Jesuit priest and author of "The Jesuit Guide."

"It shows the all-embracing love of Christ, who ministered to all he met: man or woman, slave or free, Jew or Gentile."

For some, restricting the rite to men is in line with the church's restriction on ordaining women priests. Church teaching holds that only men should be ordained because Christ's apostles were male.

"This is about the ordination of women, not about their feet," wrote the Rev. John Zuhlsdorf, a traditionalist blogger. Liberals "only care about the washing of the feet of women, because ultimately they want women to do the washing."

Still, Francis has made clear he doesn't favor ordaining women. In his 2011 book, "On Heaven and Earth," then-Cardinal Bergoglio said there were solid theological reasons why the priesthood was reserved to men: "Because Jesus was a man."

On this Holy Thursday, however, Francis had a simple message for the young inmates, whom he greeted one-by-one after the Mass, giving each an Easter egg.

"Don't lose hope," Francis said. "Understand? With hope you can always go on."

...

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_22891151/pope-washes-feet-young-detainees-ritual

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2013 in Religious Debate

• im sure there are many things the Pope and i disagree on, but i really cant help but like this man when compared to the last Pope. so far he seems to actually stand for the meaning & intention of the laws and traditions instead of the legality of them. he also seems to have the humility of a man of God instead of promoting all the extravagant trappings like the last Pope.

and if the washing of feet truly is to show the "service and charity of Christ" then i see no reason why it shouldn't include women. Christ's service & charity was for all and just b/c in the Bible the feet washing was for the Twelve shouldnt mean it has to be men...especially other high ranking followers of the Catholic Church. the idea that others wash the feet of other priests & bishops shows the person washing feet only wants to serve those he likes & agrees with...theres no service in that.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2013

• When he quits talking about homosexuals as if they were sub-human and recognizes equality in women, and goes as far as to accept that we should have autonomy over our own bodies, I'll be more impressed.  A showy "act of compassion" that only did for the woman what she could have done for herself is nothing more than a token that means absolutely nothing if it's not backed by real reform.  Washing women's feet doesn't show "love to all" in the same way that treating women and gays with equality in real and meaningful ways would. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2013

• People get too upset over 'traditions'.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:13 AM on Mar. 31, 2013

• I think this was great. I'm not a Catholic and don't understand the whole hierarchy or reason for a Pope, but I am a Christian and think this is how we need to be loving others.

Answer by missanc at 9:51 AM on Mar. 31, 2013

• I thought it was awesome that the pope broke tradition with this! I was impressed when I heard, both that he did this & then essentially told his naysayers to get used to it. I have high hopes for Francis.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 3:15 AM on Mar. 31, 2013

• Heard about it. I think it's awesome and needs to happen more often.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 4:08 AM on Mar. 31, 2013

• Interesting...
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2013