Has anyone terminated the parental rights of your child's father with out having someone there to adopt?

Just curious.

libramoon007

Asked by libramoon007 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• i think it is rare
    judge almost always will insist that a father figure is there to take the place of the bio one before terminating rights
    or
    the bio father is super bad...but again rare, as then no father to provide $ support

* maybe different in your state?
    good luck ( i am in same boat)...HUGS
    Anonymous

• Yes, it was legally terminated.

My kids were older (12,11 and 8) when he lost his rights.

What is going on ?
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 6:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2013

• How did you terminate his rights with out having someone there to adopt? Every where I look and I have lived in three different states since having her is the same.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 7:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2013

• You have to either get him to willingly give them up, or prove him unfit in a court of law.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 7:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2013

• Ok.,
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2013

• You can try, but it's damn hard. My ex was convicted of a sex crime, hasn't seen my kids in almost 8 years, hasn't paid child support in almost 7 years, and I STILL have the damn judge telling me, "No, they need a father, and unless someone else will adopt them, he's their father." Because apparently two sperm having good senses of direction make you a good dad.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2013

• I understand its the law and what is in the best interest of my child but he doesn't see her and she doesn't want to see him.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2013

• How old is she ?
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:21 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

• She is four. I know it seems young to understand that but she is pretty mature for her age.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• It would be very very rare, they will require only supervised visits or NO visitation but they will not terminate rights without another man there to take over. Because they still hold the man financially responsible even if he is not allowed to see the child. If you were to say go on financial assistance(Welfare) he would have to pay the state back for that money on top of child support. Legally speaking they want the father to still be responsible.

When my husband adopted my son(after we had my ex's rights terminated) he had to agree in front of the judge to take on ALL responsiblity for my son, including financial. I have never heard of it happening when there wasn't another there to take the place.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 3, 2013