My cat feels like he has a fever

I just went into the living room and noticed that Oreo is in the same spot he was in yesterday on the couch. When I picked him up he body was really hot, and he kinda whinned. I don't know if cats body's can over heat, but I am wondering what might be going on with him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Pets

• i would call your vet and ask them.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• TAKE THE CAT TO THE VET. ASAP. CATS DO NOT DO WELL WITHOUT FOOD OF WATER FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME. BY LONG I MEAN A DAY OR SO. CALL THE VET. YES THEY CAN RUN FEVERS AND IT IS A SIGN OF ILLNESS.
    emily1234

Answer by emily1234 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You can also take your cats temperature yourself. Rectally.

A normal temperature for a cat is between 101-102 degrees, roughly in there. If it is above 103, then call your vet.

The best way to take your cat's temp is with 2 people. Have one person hold the scruff of the neck with one hand, and the back legs with the other. Then lay the cat on it's side.

Lube the thermometer and insert 1/2 inch, like you would with a person. good luck.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 6:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• This happened to my cat recently. He got really weak and was obviously not feeling well. We took him to the vet, and she determined he was running a fever. She checked lots of things but couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. She ended just prescribing some antiobiotics, figuring it was some sort of bacteria. I gave him the antibiotics for 5 days, and he was completely well when we finished. I would definitely take your kitty to the vet.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2009