Can I substitute spinach for Swiss chard?

I found a yummy looking recipe for double cheese macaroni and greens. I have everything for the recipe except Swiss chard, but I have some spinach. I've never had Swiss chard - is it a similar flavor/texture?

Asked by missanc at 8:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2013 in Food & Drink

• It doens't have the bitterness that chard has, but I say it will taste better! Make sure it is well drained before you add it! There is alot more water in spinach than chard.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2013

• Similar texture sort of, but completely different flavor, but I think Spinach taste a lot better, so go for it!

Answer by older at 8:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2013

• If I remember right, Swiss chard is a little crisper than spinach, but also more bitter. I'd give it a try.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2013

• It's a perfectly reasonable substitution.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2013

• I often substitute chard for spinach, so the other way around seems perfectly logical.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2013