Breach baby?

I am 6 months along and my baby has been breach the whole time. I am hoping she turns around, but if not I will either have to have a c-section or they will have to turn her. Keeping my fingers crossed that she flips! :) Has anyone had the baby turned? I heard that its horrible!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• all babies are breach for the most part they do not turn till your last month all should be ok for you
    Anonymous

• My cousins baby was breach, she is 34 weeks pregnant. They told her at her 30 week appt. That they will schedule a C-section for her at her 32 week appt. Well when she got there they did an ultra sound and her baby turned. It isn't too late for your baby to turn either! I wish you the best. Also I've heard them turning the baby is PAINFUL!!! And not good for the baby..I would look into it before you decided. But that is just what I heard not fact!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You heard what's horrible?? Them flipping the baby?? You still have a way to go so she may flip on her own. Try doing the cat stretch position every once in awhile. Get down on hands and knees and arch your back up like a cat. This can encourage baby to cchange position on their own. It doesn't always work, but it never hurts to try. c-sections aren't so bad though if things don't work out. The most important thing is a healthy baby.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I had the same thing. I had a breach baby up until 35 weeks. They were about to schedule me to have a c-section and then he just turned. It was the most painful thing! They told me he was not going to turn do to his size and how far I was along. I got a pulled muscle and a bruise that you could even see on the outside of my stomach! I'd imagine that it would feel about the same to get a baby turned. I thought I was in labor for all the pain I was in. Good luck hope your baby turns soon. I would go for the c-section if I had a choice due to the fact that it was the most painful thing I had gone through.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 4:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My baby was breech at 6 months and she turned just fine. However, if the baby doesn't turn it's not the end of the world. C sections don't make you any less of a mother. You still gave birth and the healthy baby is proof of that.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• There are a lot of ways to encourage baby's head down. Because you still have plenty of time, it's not a big worry yet. You can avoid the version until after other more successful & comfortable attempts are tried, too.
    And best case scenario, find a practitioner that will attend a breech vaginal birth. These are normal in most of the world, an experienced provider can do it (not usually a surgeon).
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Babies can actually turn DURING labor, and scheduling a c/s would deprive your baby of that chance. Also breech babies can be safely delivered. the only time it isn't safe is when OB's mess with it.

I would NEVER get a version done. It's painful and could actually cause tons of health issues for the baby. The heart can decel and you would need an emergency c/s right then and there.

go to spinningbabies.org or .com, can't remember. Find a chiropractor who can do the Webster Technique and follow the exercises they recommend. Acupuncture can also help.

You need to research this by yourself and not put blind faith in your OB. :) good luck.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I second the recommendation of www.spinningbabies.com
    Go and do some of the recommended exersizes to encourage your baby to be in the optimal position for birth! and be patient mama, your baby has TONS of time left to flip! and like has been said, some babies even flip during labor!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 6:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Don't worry yet! 6 months is still really early for a baby to be head down. My friends baby was still head up at 38 weeks and the doc was telling her that he would let her go to 42 weeks before he scheduled a c-section. The baby turned and was born at 41 weeks :) A lot of babies don't even turn head down until later in the 8th month. Do not try turning, it can wrap the cord around the babies neck etc, along with being extremely painful, and a lot of times the baby will just re-position anyway. Give your baby as much time as possible and if you've hit 42 weeks with nada...I would probably go for a C section. Good luck!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 11:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I just came from my 2 wk check up, I am 33 wks today. Last visit on ultrasound showed her head down today she is breach, But my dr. said no worries, he will see me in 2 more weeks and do an ultrasound and confirm her position, but most likely she will turn again head down where she should be, he said even at 33 wks she can still turn and I asked him if she doesnt can we try & turn her, he said he was not a fan of that, it is risky. It may or maynot work and by turning the baby sometimes can cause placenta to tear and then you have an emergency C-Sec on your hands.
    So be patient she still has lots of room to flip flop at 6 mths.
    sassymom2008707

Answer by sassymom2008707 at 1:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2009