Preparing meatloaf ahead of time?

so i have online training for my job tonight from 2:30-7:30 and need to figure out dinner. i went grocery shopping saturday and left out a package of ground beef in the fridge, but ended up coming down with a case of the idontwanna's and ordered pizza. it was pointless to cook yesterday also because it was easter. so it must be cooked today or it'll spoil. i was thinking of making meatloaf, putting it in the loaf pan, covering it, putting it in the fridge and then popping it in the oven later. but will it be alright like that for 6-8 hours in the fridge? sigh... im going to find myself in this predicament for the next 4 weeks! i cant cook after 7:30 because my kids cant wait that long to eat dinner, especially considering they go to bed at 8

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:46 AM on Apr. 1, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I always prepare my meatloaf the night before we eat it. I mix it up, put plastic wrap over it, and leave it in the fridge until the next afternoon when it is time to cook it.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:58 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I would go ahead and make it and put it in the fridge, just remember it may take an extra 10 minutes to cook, you could also make taco meat ahead of time and put it the fridge.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:30 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I do that all the time. The only thing I would keep in mind is if you cover it with aluminum foil, leave off any ketchup or bbq sauce you put on top, and do that when you're ready to cook it. Otherwise the acidity of the tomato in the ketchup or sauce might eat into the foil.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:36 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Yes, it will be fine. I cover mine with waxed paper and then foil over that, and remove both when cooking it.

Answer by Bmat at 9:04 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Absolutely!! Make the meatloaf ahead, you can wash a few potatoes as well, and have them ready to bake with the meatloaf. I do it often.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:05 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

• You could also put it in a crock pot and it'll be done later :)
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:34 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Making meatloaf a day ahead and keeping it in the fridge till you're ready to cook it actually enhances its flavor. Just cover it tightly with aluminum foil or a lid so the smell of it, especially if it has onion in it, doesn't taint other foods in the fridge.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Cook it this morning and reheat it tonight.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:52 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I'm sure it would be fine-
    *I don't know about the size of meatloaf you make- but mine take about an hour and a half to cook
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:08 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

• it will be fine but like charlotsomtimes said my meatloaf takes more than an hour to cook.
    drfink

Answer by drfink at 7:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2013