Low-lying placenta/placenta-previa

Wondering if previous abortions, then a miscarriage, D&C ...might have caused low-lying placenta and placenta-previa? Have any of you ladies experienced this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• never had this happen too my self but had a friend who had 3 abortions and it caused her all kinds of problems later on when she did want children its not a form of birth control it does a lot of harm too your body but on the bright side after lots of miscarriages like 4 or so she did have 3 children
    Anonymous

• i dont believe abortion would be the cause of your low lying placenta and depending on how far along you are its not a big deal. most the time they move up where they need to be. mine layed low for the first 15weeks but then by 20wks had moved up where it needed to be. sometimes it just happens there really isnt a reason or a cause behind it. your dr will tell you what to do and if hes worried you may be put on bed rest.
    Anonymous

• My daughter has never had an abortion and has had only one pregnancy, which was a placenta previa. Later in the pregnancy the ultrasound showed that the placenta had moved up, but was still covering a small part of the cervix. The doctor wasn't too concerned about abruption, though, at that point.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• 90 percent of placenta previa's shift. So I wouldn't stress. A lot of women have them in the first trimester. It just happens. When your uterus starts to grow it can help shift the placenta into a position away from your cervix. I wouldn't stress about it now.

first trimester abortions RARELY cause complications in future pregnancies so I wouldn't even stress about it. MY daughter was born without any complications, etc, and I ended up with a previa in this pregnancy that cleared up by 20 weeks.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I am 31 weeks pregnant with twins and my first ultrasound showed that I had a previa. I don't think that miscarriages and abortions cause these, usually the cause is multiples or if you've had a c-section or cocaine use can cause them, weird I know. But mine moved and fixed itself at about 26 weeks as most do. Previas usually clear themselves up but if they don't then you can have bleeding and most likely will have to have a c-section. I was in the hospital a couple times due to bleeding but the twins are healthy and doing just fine!
    twinmommy2009

Answer by twinmommy2009 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• okay.. this info is very helpful. I'm actually asking about a past pregnancy. The 2 abortions were both late term, and forced upon me, as I was pretty young, and the pregnancies were by rape. There was also a pregnancy that was twins. When I got married, we miscarried once, and then had a baby ...the first one was okay, but a stressful delivery (long story). Second one was home birthed and went very well. Third was "the boy." Measured high throughout; lots of discomfort, then excruciating pain, spotting, amniotic leakage starting around month 6/7; baby went sideways; went past EDD 13 days because the placenta was in the way. Labor/delivery was more painful than it might've been but we had a home birth, baby was 9/4 and healthy, yet I bled profusely... almost had to be transported, but we prayed, bleeding slowed and was about to normal w/in 3hrs. Placenta was large, old, and misformed - very abnormal.
    Anonymous