I have a question about my taxes on my house...

Ok..I own my house, I just pay taxes quartly. This year they want to come out and reaccess our 2 propeties to see if our taxes will up our down. Does anyone know if they do this every year?

I am paying like $1000 now for the 2 properties.

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Wow, I don't know where you live but that is dirt cheap for taxes. I live in CT and pay about three times that for one home. They only come out every few years, if that.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I think they only do it every couple years. I would love to pay that for taxes! We pay almost 4K for just one house!
    Anonymous

• Hey! I live in the same township and they don't do it every year. It's been a while since they last did it. Mine are going to be re-assessed too. With the way the economy is, they might go down for you....besides, I would LOVE to have taxes that cheap. I pay $11,500 a year.....
    Jrsigrl403

Answer by Jrsigrl403 at 4:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Good grief, what state? That's what caused the Prop 13 tax revolt in California back in the 70s.

Now, your property only gets reassessed when you sell it...and the reassessment is for the sale price.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• gdiamante,

maybe cali shoudl reconsider proposition 13...I hear they can use the extra cash flow!
    Anonymous

• When I lived in NJ, we were paying over $9,000 a year in property taxes for a single family home (about 2700 sq. feet). 7 years ago we moved over the state line to PA (about 30 miles away), bought a 4500 sq. ft. home on 2 acres, and was paying $2200/year! The cost has slowly crept up a bit...we're now paying about $3500/year. And our township has it's own elementary and middle schools, plus police, fire, and emergency departments, and local government, and it's VERY safe!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I live in NJ. We got a letter in the mail from our township that they will be re-assessing everyone's taxes, not just if we sell. Our house is about 2900 sq ft, but I do agree the taxes are out of hand in this state!
    Jrsigrl403

Answer by Jrsigrl403 at 9:30 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My mom and sister are in NJ and they just raised theirs to right around $10,000! My parents have lived in the house for 8 years and this is the first time they did a reassessment for taxes. There are counties around me that are reassessing right now and they are all going up even though the economy is going down and people are losing jobs and the houses really fast. It doesn't make sense to me the taxes going up but they are.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 10:23 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Let me refraise something...total I pay almost $4000.00 a year

So I guess my taxes are cheap?

my 1 property cost like 800 a quarter and the other cost 112 a quarter.
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• that's the reason I didn't buy a house in NJ when we lived there. Wow I was complaining about 700 a year for my taxes.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2009